Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Information would be appreciated on Antioch Head of Zeus, seated Zeus bronz  (Read 1124 times)

Offline coldavo

• Consul
Hi All,

I am getting an interesting Antioch "head of Zeus, seated Zeus" bronze for my collection. This one is AE16mm 7.16 grams with (presumably) the ANTIOXEWN METROPOLEWS AYTONOMY inscription. This should place it in the style of the coins from Year10 (40BC) to Year 41 (7BC).

By interesting I note that, where the date is usually shown in the exergue, there appears to be a straight line - no date. To make things more interesting the Greek letter for "L" (30) is shown in the left hand field. Not being over-knowledgeable in this area I am wondering if this character is denoting the date of the coin (20/19BC) or simply one of the many symbols often found in the left field.

I would appreciate any help with more information on the coin.

All the best
Col

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...

McAlee 72, dated year 30 Caesarean Era.

Pekka K

Offline coldavo

• Consul
Hi Pekka K,

Boy, that was quick.

I am pleased with your information. I also think that this is an interesting example of the type given that the date is in the field rather than the exergue - different to any that I've seen before - so I will have to revise my thinking as to just what these Antioch Zeus/seated Zeus coins look like.

Thank you.

All the best,
Col.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity