Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Suspect coin of Antinous with 4 satyrs reverse  (Read 572 times)

Offline peterpil19

• Caesar
    • Ancient Coin Traders
Suspect coin of Antinous with 4 satyrs reverse
« on: August 11, 2018, 01:46:24 am »
Dear Board,

Working through my bags of miscellaneous coins today, I came across a very early purchase from I first started collecting ancient coins. It was bought from a collector that used to clean coins and sell them and still has active websites on numismatics.

The coin flip insert says it was a Spintria of Antinous, with 4 satyrs on the reverse. I am not familiar with such a coin. It appears more likely roman provincial to me, at least on the obverse. On the obverse I make out in the legend: AVC.......... - B(or E)IA...

It is not a coin I would have bought today without lots of homework (i.e. coin of Antinous, or a spintria).  It appears suspect to me. Although it could pass for a very worn coin and even has what appears to be green spots of patina remnants, the edge, for the most part, has that rounded smooth appearance of those coins with filed seams that have been sanded down but leaving a faint colour variation in the middle where that seam was. I have attached photos.

I would be grateful for opinions on my assessment, as well as any information on what the coin is likely a cast copy of (or whether it is simply a fantasy coin), so that I can lodge a detailed fake coin report.

Peter

Offline Blindado

• Consul
Re: Suspect coin of Antinous with 4 satyrs reverse
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 08:45:49 pm »
It looks suspiciously like a coin in one of Okidoki's threads: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=115446.0.

Offline peterpil19

• Caesar
    • Ancient Coin Traders
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 08:19:39 pm »
Thanks. I would agree that the flans are similar but beyond that I am not certain there is any link between those two coins.

This coin has sat in my suspect pile of shame for a long time so I would be pleased if my suspicions were able to be confirmed (or in the alternative, rejected, but I suspect highly unlikely).

Peter

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 04:43:45 pm »
I think it may be a very old fake tooled from a genuine coin.  Just a guess.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline peterpil19

• Caesar
    • Ancient Coin Traders
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 08:06:28 am »
Thanks Joe,

That would make sense. Possibly using one of these types. Many matching details on the reverse.
http://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/6/3949/

Peter

All coins are guaranteed for eternity