Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: I need some identification help with this King John penny  (Read 734 times)

Offline orfew

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Historical Ancient Roman Coins
I need some identification help with this King John penny
« on: August 13, 2018, 09:37:51 pm »
After looking at Spink and Wren, I think my penny of John is class 5A1 or Spink 1350A.

There are 2 markers as to why I think this is the case. First there is a cross pattee on the reverse. Second, the curls on the obverse portrait do not contain pellets. Now this coin does not have a reverse 's', but according to Spink some pennies in this class have it and some do not.

Please check your references and let me know what you think. I would love a second opinion on this.

I think the attribution is as follows

John silver penny, Short Cross Issue, Class 5a1, Spink 1350A, regular 'S', circular curls containing no pellets, cross pattee initial mark on the reverse, reverse reads:- +Raulf on lund London Mint, moneyer Raulf.

(18 mm 1.15 g)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity