Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Fake? Roman Augustus Semis, Provinical mint in Spain - cast?  (Read 511 times)

Offline Vajrapani

• Legionary
Hi all,

I have a lot of experience with ancient coins in general but I haven't handled many Roman provincial AEs from Spain. When I received the coin I had some suspicions based on the flatness, coin surface, & rather uniform wear. The rim also shows some distinctive 'pot-marks' that I have seen on some fake coins. The weight and die style however seem fine when compared to other examples online.

As I said, I don't have much experience with these types, but I felt uneasy when I had the coin in-hand (bought online). I will probably return it but would like to hear some opinions from more experienced members.

Thanks in advance!     

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Fake? Roman Augustus Semis, Provinical mint in Spain - cast?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 11:24:15 am »
It looks perfectly normal to me.  These have low relief.  Wear and patina seem normal to me.

Offline okidoki

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 11:39:24 am »
yes i agree looks just fine
All the Best,
Eric
There are no strangers, only friends you do not know yet.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270

Offline stevex6

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 11:41:57 am »
It looks okay to me ...

Ummm, I don't have an identicle example, but I do have a fairly similar example (do you wanna see it as a comparison?)

Okay, here it is ...

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 02:12:55 pm »
Hi Vaj,

Your coin looks authentic to me too. I've seen many Roman Provincial, Spain, Augustus coins.

Here is my example (scroll down, second coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/rp_spain_gades_italica.htm

Meepzorp

Offline Vajrapani

• Legionary
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 10:04:03 pm »
Thank you all for weighing in, and for the images you provided. I definitely feel more comfortable with this coin. The distinctive low-relief of these types is fascinating. Great coins btw Steve P & Meepzorp, the Tiberius Ilici issue is one I shall have to get my hands on! I strayed into this region of coinage as I visited Alicante recently and wanted a piece of local history. Thanks again   

All coins are guaranteed for eternity