Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Unknown silver coin  (Read 1848 times)

IOANNIS D

Unknown silver coin
« on: July 13, 2018, 01:01:22 pm »
I have seen this advertised as silver coin from Heraclius era, being 1.8 gr.

[MODIFIED BY ADMIN. PHOTO LINK REMOVED. PHOTO UPLOADED.]

As far as I know, the only silver coin of this period was the Hexagram, which is quite bigger. Any opinions? (it looks like a Miliaresion to me, but these came quite later).

Offline Skolot

• Consul
Re: Unknown silver coin
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 03:17:18 pm »

IOANNIS D

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 04:02:33 pm »
A fourree/fake solidus, I think
http://labarum.info/lbr/show.php?coin=7310

Thanks for the reply. I have seen this "furree" designation again, can you please tell me what it means?

Offline Obryzum

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 09:26:43 pm »
A fouree refer to an ancient plated counterfeit, usually gold or silver plating on bronze, but occasionally gold plating in silver.

This coin has a solidus design and was only struck in gold, not silver. This coin is therefore a fake, and the question is whether it is a modern fake or ancient fake. My guess is modern.

IOANNIS D

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2018, 04:45:00 am »
So I was right that something was not correct from the start. It could be that it was gold plated at a point to look like a Solidus.

Anyway I am still new and a lot to learn. The help I have gotten so far here in just a few days is invaluable, thanks to all of you guys.  :)

IOANNIS D

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 04:35:05 am »
Just to know this coin went for more than 80€ in Ebay...  :-\

Offline Skolot

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2018, 04:07:18 pm »
$210.26  ;D

IOANNIS D

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2018, 08:51:18 am »
$210.26  ;D

I am curious, do you think this was conscious, meaning it can worth this money, or the buyer was just fooled...?  ???

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2018, 03:42:43 pm »
Fooled.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS