Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: My first crusade coin  (Read 1776 times)

IOANNIS D

My first crusade coin
« on: July 12, 2018, 06:29:06 am »
I just received my first ever crusade coin! I have developed an interest in the period after the 4th Crusade and the different states created in the area of Greece mainly.

So I bought this coin which was marked as Principality of Achaea - Gui II de La Roche.

Firstly this sounds like a mistake, as Guy II was ruler of the Duchy of Athens, not the Principality of Achaea. Of course these states were connected and their coins seem very similar. Actually all those coins look similar, so I find it hard to distinguish between leaders. Is there any reference material with clear pictures or drawings that can help in this?

Offline Vladislav D

• Caesar
Re: My first crusade coin
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 09:29:08 pm »
The duchy of Athens - Gui II de La Roche , Majority 1294-1308
Bi Denier . Type 1e.
Obverse    + :GVI DVX :ΛTENES , around cross.
Reverse    +ThEBANI CIVIS ( upright crescents beginning and end of legend ), castle.
Ref: Metcalf 1071-1072 (Type 1e) .  Schl.XIII.10 var.
Regards ,
Vlad .
Obverse is upside-down. It needs to be rotated 180 degrees.

IOANNIS D

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 02:26:43 am »
Thanks a lot Vlad, that was perfect!

I am trying to read the letters you mentioned now, it really needs a lot of practice.  ::)

My target is to get one coin for each ruler for both Achaea and Athens, don't know yet how hard or expensive it may be. I imagine that some rulers will be more difficult than the others.

IOANNIS D

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 05:30:15 am »
Can I ask for a good reference book or site, where I can find information like the one you published above?

Offline Vladislav D

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 09:45:11 am »
These are three standard reference books for starting :
1.  Schlumberger Gustave  “ Numismatique de l'Orient latin “ . 1878

2.  Malloy, A.G., I.F. Preston, and A.J Seltman. “ Coins of the Crusader States “
 I recommend updated  second edition .

3.  Metcalf D.M.  “ Coinage of the Crusaders and the Latin East in the Ashmolean Museum Oxford.”

Regards,
Vlad.

Blue text indicates a link. Click on the links to find definitions, references, articles, coins for sale and other information.

IOANNIS D

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 12:40:08 pm »
Thanks for the reply. From a quick look I can only find the first one at a reasonable price but in French. Is there an english version? I suppose one can work with the french one as well though.

The other two are either not available or at crazy prices.  :-\

Any suggestions on where I can find them at a reasonable cost?

Offline Vladislav D

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2018, 01:26:36 pm »
Schlumberger only in French . I think you can find free copy online. The other  two sometimes pops up at reasonable price . Check in your local library . If they do not have ,  you can make a request for  ILL .
Regards,
Vlad.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity