Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Fake Alexander III Drachm or not?  (Read 821 times)

Offline CL

• Praetorian
Fake Alexander III Drachm or not?
« on: July 10, 2018, 05:23:00 pm »
Hello, I found this Alexander the great drachm at a local 2nd handed website and I'm actually wondering if it is authentic or fake? Pictures are not that clear but the price is quite cheap at the moment.

Comments are appreciated. Thank you.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Fake Alexander III Drachm or not?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 05:32:41 pm »
I don't see anything that condemns it with certainty, but there are reasons to doubt it, and it is impossible to authenticate it from the photos. If you are not confident that either the coin is genuine, or the dealer is reputable with expertise and a guarantee, do not buy. In short, either know the coin or know the seller.

We discuss suspected fakes here but we do not allow screening purchases. If you would like my consulting services to help with purchases, I charge $45 an hour, with a one hour minimum. In this case, you already have my answer above. You can send me a PayPal (I am joking about sending the PayPal).

We also do not allow registering with an incomplete or fake address. You need to correct your registration to maintain your account. 

Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline CL

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 05:46:42 pm »
I don't see anything that condemns it with certainty, but there are reasons to doubt it, and it is impossible to authenticate it from the photos. If you are not confident that either the coin is genuine, or the dealer is reputable with expertise and a guarantee, do not buy. In short, either know the coin or know the seller.

We discuss suspected fakes here but we do not allow screening purchases. If you would like my consulting services to help with purchases, I charge $45 an hour, with a one hour minimum. In this case, you already have my answer above. You can send me a PayPal (I am joking about sending the PayPal).

We also do not allow registering with an incomplete or fake address. You need to correct your registration to maintain your account. 

Thank you for the reply. Sorry I didn't know that, I thought suspected fakes on the internet as well, so only suspected fakes that are owned by the poster can be placed here? I don't really understand it. I corrected the address as well.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 07:02:52 pm »

...I thought suspected fakes on the internet as well, so only suspected fakes that are owned by the poster can be placed here? I don't really understand it. I corrected the address as well.

You can post any suspected fake. But, you should never be considering the purchase of a suspected fake. You should only be considering purchase of coins you know are genuine, either through your own knowledge or the expertise of the seller.  If you suspect it is fake, you should not buy it, even if people on the internet tell you they think it is OK. Know the coin, or know the seller.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity