Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Hermitage Museum in St. Petersburg  (Read 2269 times)

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
Hermitage Museum in St. Petersburg
« on: July 09, 2018, 07:04:14 pm »
Is anyone familiar with what numismatic items may be on display at the Hermitage?

I've looked on their website and it doesn't specifically list anything.  Their collection numbers upwards of 1.15 million items, so I would like to think that something is out on display.

My wife and I are taking a cruise later this month out of Stockholm, and we have three days in St. Petersburg.  One of those days will be taken up by a train trip to Moscow, but I will have several hours on one of the others days to spend at the Hermitage.

Offline Dominic T

• Caesar
Re: Hermitage Museum in St. Petersburg
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 09:38:41 pm »
HI ! Go on the site of the museum, make a research  with the word ''coin"" and then go in ''collections'' and you will be able to admire what they have in their numismatic department.
DT                                         

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 11:19:26 pm »
Thanks DT.

What I'm actually looking for is whether or not they have any displays currently out for public viewing.

I found an email address on the "Numismatics Department" webpage and sent them my inquiry.

Craig

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 04:38:26 pm »
I am curious how it worked out. I have done several cruises with the same type of itinerary , I have never seen any coins at the hermitage, it is an amazing museum  with a fantastic art collection. Did you see anything of interest?

I am going next again next year I would apply for a visa to do a private excursion of the coin collection.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity