Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Joe and Rose Going to Europe - Suggestions?  (Read 12189 times)

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Re: Joe and Rose Going to Europe - Suggestions?
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2018, 02:52:44 pm »
It's called not for no reason "Piazza dei Miracoli (Squares of Miracles).

Jochen

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2018, 09:38:51 am »
In Italy I have always stayed in flats I found through booking.com. I never had any problems - though one has to read the reviews carefully.

The only exceptions have been when I travelled for business when hotels were taken care of.  On one such trip I stayed at the Hotel Quirinale on Via Nazionale in Rome.  It was excellent and centrally located (10 minutes from the main train station) though would be a nightmare with a car - would want to leave it in the burbs and commuter train in.

Not many food recommendations as things are generally great.  If you are near the forum you need to try Flor Gelato at the (near) end of Via Cavour.  Best gelato I have ever had - ever!

SC

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline orfew

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Historical Ancient Roman Coins
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2018, 10:00:44 am »
When in Rome do not neglect Trastavere (literally across the Tiber). My wife and I booked a food tour and stopped at 10 food establishments to sample their wares. It was absolutely wonderful. We walked many back streets and got to see how the majority of people lived their lives.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2018, 11:21:43 am »
So many great ideas.

Thanks.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Stkp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2018, 01:53:49 pm »
That is a very long drive, Joe! I have not driven in Spain or Italy, but have driven in southern France, which you will be crossing. You will have to be disciplined about when/where to stop if you plan to arrive in Italy on time. When in Italy, I found Lucca to be charming. It has an intact medieval wall circling the old city that is so wide that it has become a park: large trees, lawn, bicycle path. We rented bikes and circled the city a few times before gliding down the ramps onto the city streets. Enjoy! Stkp

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2018, 06:29:45 pm »
Distance-wise, it is shorter than many one-day trips I have made in the US.  I don't know how the roads will compare to the US. In any case, I will probably fly to Milan.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2018, 07:13:06 pm »
I will second Trastevere.  Our pizza place there:

Osteria Pizzaria Margherita
Vicolo Del Cinque 31a
Roma Trastevere

The whole area is open late with lots of people enjoying evening strolls. 

Offline Brennos

• Consul
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2018, 08:03:39 pm »
I agree with some others : If i were you, i would flight directly from Madrid to Milan (Ryan Air is your friend) . Rent a car and drive down to Rome where you flight back to Madrid at the end with Ryan Air again.

I recommand to spend several days in south Tuscany wich is a paradise (Sienne , Monticchiello, Montepulciano, Montalcino among others are treasures)

i recommand you to stay in this real Agriturismo : http://www.lafonte.toscana.it/ and your wife and you would never want to come back in the US :)

In Rome i'm use to stay near The Vatican wich is a central and easy point. You should definitly visit the Vatican Museum of course (run as fast as you can in the chapel sixtine at the opening before the crowd) and do not forget the etrusque antiquities, by far the most fabulous collection of this civilisation in the world.

Offline Xenophon

• Consul
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2018, 03:06:07 am »
While you are in Rome I would heartily recommend taking the local train to Ostia (it only took about 30 minutes from the centre). I found it to be more extensive than both Pompeii and Herculaneum and the quality of many of the buildings and mosaics is wonderful. Because it is less well-known the number of people there is far less as well, which helps you to appreciate it even more. I set aside a day to visit it on my last trip to Rome but ended up going back for a second day because the site is so large and there is so much to see.

Offline Callimachus

• Caesar
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2018, 05:53:42 pm »
Quote from Joe: "Of course we will see Venice, Florence, Rome, and Pompey. Any other must see suggestions? "

No one has mentioned Ravenna. The city is known for the late Roman mosaics in many of its ancient sites.

There are 8 UNESCO World Heritage sites in Ravenna:

The Mausoleum of Galla Placidia,
The Neonian Baptistery,
The Arian Baptistery,
The Basilica of Sant'Apollinare Nuovo -- 26 mosaic scenes from the New Testament, the oldest in the world,
The Chapel of Sant'Andrea --  the only chapel of the early Christian era that is still fully preserved,
The Mausoleum of Theodoric was built by (and for) Theodoric the Great,
The Basilica of San Vitale,
The Basilica of Sant' Apollinare.

Dante's tomb, although it is debatable whether or not his body is still in it.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2018, 07:10:51 pm »
I have been thinking about Ravenna.  Strange but it does seem to be off the usual American tourist circuit.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2018, 08:21:03 pm »
Completely slipped my mind earlier but if you are driving through Tuscany the village of San Gimignano is well worth it.  If you are not familiar, google it.  The town of the towers.  Can be tourist hell in summer but should be better in fall.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2018, 09:19:49 pm »
I am lucky enough to spend time in Europe for work but I was always interested in seeing more than the cruise ports. I was always interested in getting a Europass to visit everywhere by train. Perhaps that would be more fun than driving?

I took this from the web site Eurail Global passes.

2 Options for Eurail Global Passes:
 Flexi Pass is available for any 5 or 7 days within 1 month or
10 or 15 consecutive or non-consecutive travel days, to be used in a two month period.
Children under 12 years old travel free with adults
 Consecutive Days Pass, valid for 15 days, 22 days, 1 month, 2 months or 3 months, consecutive days, starting on the first trip date.

28 Countries in the Eurail Network are the following:
Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republlic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland, Turkey

My personal favorite has been Turkey but have not been there in the last 3 years.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2018, 09:03:33 am »
I am going to look into a Eurorail pass, probably just for Italy. It is apparently cheaper when it is limited to one country.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2018, 11:04:45 pm »
Completely slipped my mind earlier but if you are driving through Tuscany the village of San Gimignano is well worth it.  If you are not familiar, google it.  The town of the towers.  Can be tourist hell in summer but should be better in fall.

SC

I will second that.  Great little town.

But if you want to get off the beaten path head further south into Calabria.  Pizo, Reggio, isola di Capo Rizuto, Crotone, Troppea...

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2018, 09:15:15 am »
Trains in Italy can be far more convenient than cars.

Also Eurorail and other passes are only the tip of the iceberg.  Great way for the major long hauls but, lots of local trains aren't covered.  In fact it can be quite a bit cheaper to take a four hour local vs. a two hour express.  Nothing will be full or booked up in September except for things like an overnight sleep car.  For most things you can just buy tickets at the station when you need them.

Buy some wonderful Italian eats before hand, bring a book for the rare times you don't want to watch the country side go by, (keep an eye on your luggage) and enjoy.

One of my regrets living in Austria was that we never got south of Rome on a visit due to time and distance.  So I am saving the south of Italy and Sicily and Sardinia for retirement.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline GAT

• Praetorian
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2018, 12:21:40 pm »
Joe,

On a recent trip to Rome, my wife and I visited the Domus Aurea for the new 3D virtual reality tour. It was one of the highlights of our trip. The entrance is on a hill across from the Colosseum (on the side away from the center of the city). The entrance was a bit hard to find so allow 10-15 minutes to locate it.
https://www.wantedinrome.com/news/virtual-reality-tours-of-romes-domus-aurea.html

On a prior trip to Southern Italy we spent two nights in Matera. It is an amazing hill city with the building built into the rock (like a luxury version of the Flintstones). Matera is a good base for visiting many of the other charming villages in the region, such as Alberobellow and Ostuni. Metaponto is also within an hours drive and Taranto is not much further.
https://www.neverendingvoyage.com/sassi-matera-italy/
https://travelaway.me/most-beautiful-towns-puglia/

One caution is to be careful not to drive into any of the restricted central city zones (ZTLs). We were fortunate not to but almost did so one or two times. Once we knew what to look for they were relatively easy to avoid. The fines are steep and usually come as a nasty surprise from the rental car company months after the trip.

GAT

Offline William S7

• Praetorian
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2018, 06:08:05 pm »
On your way to Naples, I'd recommend driving the Amalfi coast; stop for seafood pasta in Amalfi. There are some great restaurants with amazing views.

Offline JamesC11

• Praetorian
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2018, 07:34:35 pm »
And I'd watch out for Yordan M, if I were you.  :police:

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2018, 08:23:09 am »
Damn hurricane is likely to make the trip impossible - and everything is already paid for and mostly cannot be cancelled. Uhg.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2018, 09:02:23 am »
Damn hurricane is likely to make the trip impossible - and everything is already paid for and mostly cannot be cancelled. Uhg.

I do hope the weather subsides in time for your flight, is there any indication how long the hurricane will cause flight disruption ?

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2018, 10:43:35 am »
The hurricane probably would only cause a day or two delay in the flight, but I can't leave my daughters here alone if the house is damaged or even just has no power.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2018, 11:56:32 am »
Quite right Joe, keep your family safe.

Offline stevex6

• Caesar
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2018, 11:38:56 pm »
Awwww, lousy luck => cheers ... I hope that you were able to scramble and recover a good trip

Cheers, Dude (you're a good coin-head)

stevex6

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2018, 04:42:28 pm »
In Rome, the usual pre-planning was not done. I am scrambling now to figure it out.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity