Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Question of Authenticity, Alexander III Drachm  (Read 708 times)

Offline mrbigb625

• Consul
  • Cool forum!
Question of Authenticity, Alexander III Drachm
« on: July 06, 2018, 05:37:10 pm »
Hello,
I recently came across this Alexander Drachm. There are a few questionable quality about it. Such as the portrait seems small. Normally the portrait fills the entire obverse.
Also the edge appears to have a lot of what looks like folds. Not a casting seam, but more like when metal is poured.  

It is about 16.75 mm max
4.1 grams
And appears to be silver.

Any input would be appreciated.
Thank you

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
  • Life is bigger than a Tweet.
Re: Question of Authenticity, Alexander III Drachm
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 05:44:29 pm »
Looks like and weighs in as a perfectly fine issue of Babylon to me.
All historical inquiry is contingent and provisional, and our own prejudices will in due course come under scrutiny by our successors.

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2018, 01:50:50 am »
The type is Price 3602, here you see some more examples: http://numismatics.org/pella/id/price.3602

Regards

Altamura

Offline mrbigb625

• Consul
  • Cool forum!
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2018, 09:07:08 am »
Thank you for the reassurance. I was kind of "on the fence" with this one.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity