Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Please look at the RECENT ADDITIONS and PRICE REDUCTIONS at the top and bottom of the page. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Please call if you have questions 252-646-1958. Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Point your mouse to a coin in RECENT ADDITIONS or PRICE REDUCTIONS on this page to see the the price. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numism  |  For the New Ancient Coin Collector (Moderators: wolfgang336, Stkp, Lucas H)  |  Topic: Suggestions for a Canadian Beginner 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Suggestions for a Canadian Beginner  (Read 1533 times)
Seth B
Legionary

Aldarith

« on: September 15, 2018, 01:31:20 pm »

Hello everyone,

I've just made the decision to get into the hobby and I'm looking to start by picking up a small assortment of uncleaned coins for fun along with a couple of tidier ones. I like the idea of finding out what's under the crust, but I'd also like to pick up something a little cleaner to inspire me as well.

I'm pretty fresh off the flan, as it were, and I am not very sure who I should approach for my first purchase.
I'm hoping to respect a budget of around $30 USD for my first purchase, and I have noticed that on [REMOVED BY ADMIN]. I have also had a peek in the forvm store as well at at [REMOVED BY ADMIN], but I'd like to be more informed before I pull the trigger on anything.
 Smiley
While I begin to pore over the forvm materiels and get starting on the learning side of things, I was wondering if anyone might be able to share their experience with the above vendors and places of business or provide suggestions about whom a first-timer like me should approach for my foray.

Thank you in advance  Smiley I'm looking forward to meeting you and hopefully learning a thing or two.
okidoki
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 01:38:09 pm »

Hello Seth,

Welcome here, I am focused on one Emperor namely Hadrian.

there are many theme's on what to collect  Thumbs Up

All the Best,
Eric
There are no strangers, only friends you do not know yet.
http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270
Seth B
Legionary

Aldarith

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2018, 02:53:33 pm »

Oh - I entirely forgot to mention that I am interested in starting with Roman coins, but have no preferance as to whom for or when they were struck (yet).

Thank you for the welcome!
otlichnik
Tribunus Plebis 2016
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2018, 03:16:12 pm »

Not sure where you are.  There is a good ancient coin store in Toronto.  There are also regular shows in Toronto and Montreal.  I don't know the scene out west.

SC

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)
Seth B
Legionary

Aldarith

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2018, 04:07:25 pm »

That's funny - I am actually very near to Toronto.
What is the shoppe called?

And thank you!
Arados
Comitia Curiata
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 01:15:20 am »

Firstly, welcome to Forvm Seth.

I would like to offer a little advice before you begin purchasing coins from online shops or auction houses. Stay away from Ebay until you feel comfortable enough to recognise the differences between authentic and fake coins, Ebay is awash with fakes and it takes a keen eye and many years of experience to be able separate one from the other. I would suggest having a good look around Forvm shop, all coins are guaranteed authentic.  

I thought that your idea of buying some crusty coins and learning how to clean them was a good basis to start from. Seeing details emerge after being covered in dirt and grime for millennia, always gives a great deal of satisfaction.

There´s plenty of online literature to read and download on the internet if you require it. Browsing the boards on Forvm will help you understand the terminology of this wonderful hobby and give you a deeper understanding of the numerous collecting areas available to numismatics. Forvm also boasts a knowledgable and unparalleled numismatic community willing to give advice and help, so if you need it, don't hesitate to ask.      

Good look and have fun.

Dominic T
Consul

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 06:29:28 am »

Hello SethB. I’m a new collector too and I’m from Montreal. You surely are at the best place here to improve your knowledge on Roman coins. Make sure you look at the NFSL if you decide to buy on ebay. For myself, I bought some very interesting and affordable coins on the Member’s free coin auction. I hope you’ll have a lot of fun and discover that collecting ancient coins is like traveling in the past! It makes history getting alive.
DT
Jay GT4
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Leave the gun, take the Canoli!

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2018, 07:59:29 am »

That's funny - I am actually very near to Toronto.
What is the shoppe called?

And thank you!

PM sent

My Gallery: http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=18312

IG: @artisan.flooring
J. Grande
orfew
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2018, 12:09:40 pm »

I am also near Toronto. I have found Forvm to be an excellent source of coins. Please do have a good look at the shop. Joe offers a guarantee for eternity so this is a very safe and reliable place to buy your coins.

Before buying my first ancient coin I read for several months. It is a good idea to start reading about ancient coins. Search the discussion topics here for some great discussions about hundreds of topics related to ancient coins. Do not be afraid to ask questions. There are plenty of helpful people here. There are also many excellent books available on many different topics within ancient numismatics. Do a search on this site and you will see many recommendations.

Welcome to this forum and welcome to this fascinating hobby of ours. 
Andrew

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numism  |  For the New Ancient Coin Collector (Moderators: wolfgang336, Stkp, Lucas H)  |  Topic: Suggestions for a Canadian Beginner « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop