Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Uncleaned Byzantine Seal - Saint 11th-12th Century? Cleaning?  (Read 2504 times)

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
I just received a very interesting Byzantine lead seal this week.  It looks like 11th -12th Century to me.  It measures approximately 20.14 mm and weighs 6.42g.  It has a saint on the obverse and the inscription on the reverse.  It appears to be in uncleaned condition as I can feel the loose soil on it.  Before I attempt to clean it, I would appreciate any advice in doing so from those who have cleaned seals.  I was thinking of a gentle brushing.  Should one clean it further? And of any insight in identification would be helpful too!  Pogh_poor 
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
Re: Uncleaned Byzantine Seal - Saint 11th-12th Century? Cleaning?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 11:52:27 am »
It is probably mostly lead oxide that you see on the seal, which can't be cleaned unless you dig into the lead itself. That's because the oxidation has changed the composition of the surface metal. So you will dig into the grey-colored lead without improving detail. You may be able to clean some dirt, but I don't think it will improve very much.

I think the legend can be read if you post photos that are in focus.
Regards
Gert

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2018, 02:14:46 pm »
Here are some clearer photos:
Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2018, 07:05:03 am »
It is a so-called metric legend, with the words composed in a twelve-syllable verse. These are normally very difficult to make sense of, but luckily this one follows the conventions.

CKEΠOI[C]
ΠANAΓNE
CON ΘEO
ΔWP, ΛA
TPHN

So 'skepois, Panagne, son Theodor(on), latrèn', which translates 'Panagne, may you protect your servant Theodoros'. Panagne invokes the Mother of God as 'all pure'. The seal just mentions the owner's personal name, not his family name or any functions or dignities, so unfortunately it is impossible to know more about him. He must have held an important position in the period that you propose. I'd say later 11th to first half 12th century. The seal is not published in Mrs. Wassiliou-Seibt's corpus of metric legends, which means it is most probably unpublished.

Regards
Gert

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2018, 08:34:51 am »
Gert Thank you for your great help with this seal!  I presume that it is Mary on the Obverse?  Pogh_poor

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2018, 11:01:43 am »
Yes, of the 'Blachernitissa' type, depicted without an infant Christ and with her hands uplifted in prayer.
Regards
Gert

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2018, 03:18:44 pm »
Thank you again Gert

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2018, 06:32:39 pm »
FWIW, I would not touch it.
It is charming (to me) as it is.
PeteB

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2018, 09:42:18 am »
I agree entirely with Gert.  While at first glance it seems tempting to try to clean the face there is nothing there.  The lead "patina" and some of the lead under it have simply corroded off that part.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2018, 09:53:02 am »
Ditto. Looks good as is.

Wow Gert. You always impress me with how much you know about Byzantine seals. I spent a fortune on references for them. Even so, I find them nearly impossible.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2018, 10:16:10 am »
Thanks Joe!

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2018, 11:51:17 am »
I now have no intention of cleaning it further.  Thank you Gert again for let me gain valuable insight as to my very nice seal.  Pogh_poor

All coins are guaranteed for eternity