Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Stolen or Missing Coins  (Read 3747 times)

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Stolen or Missing Coins
« on: March 25, 2018, 04:21:12 am »
Fellow numismatics,

I started this topic with the objective of gathering together images of coins, that have mysteriously disappeared (been stolen) whilst being sent through the various postal services. I thought it would be beneficial to highlight this problem, hopefully together we can find some of the missing coins and reunite them with their rightful owners.

The members gallery also a section named stolen coins.

First up are four coins that went missing last summer, they were posted in Germany from a well know auction house. I was provided with a tracking number and was updated when the postal service here in Sweden called Postnord, received the coins a few days after they were sent.

The tracking status remained the same for 1 1/2 weeks (arrived at sorting office), so I contacted Postnord's head office and inquired of the coins whereabouts. They could not find the coins and began putting the blame on the different departments within the company.

I was of course reimbursed for my loss, but its hard to accept that someone, somewhere, got their hands on my coins; which included a very rare coin of Arados.

Edit: I will be adding more missing coins to this thread shortly.  >:(

Offline simon d

• Legionary
Auction Coins Lost in shipping (by USPS). Thoughts...
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 05:14:12 pm »
Here's the synopsis: 

2 coins in 1 shipment seem to have been lost by USPS.  Combined price paid $117USD.

The coins cleared customs,... arrived in miami,... and then went missing  3/13.  (STATUS: in transit to next facility).  No update since.

I paid the usual $7 shipping, +$1 for the extra coin ($8USD)

I have bought other items from same seller with no issues.  I am not concerned at all about the seller.

What is the protocol?  IMO not the sellers fault,... but not mine either. 

Thoughts...

Thanks in advance,

Simon

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Stolen or Missing Coins
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2018, 04:34:50 am »
These coins should have been delivered in March and were posted one week apart from Cyprus, yet again "Postnord" in Sweden have managed to lose two registered parcels containing 3 coins of Arados.

Edit: After a long drawn out process, these coins finally turned up in May.

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Auction Coins Lost in shipping (by USPS). Thoughts...
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2018, 12:58:21 pm »

You say that the coins were sent USPC, were they sent registered mail ?

Offline JamesC11

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2018, 05:37:16 pm »
My only loss in fourteen years as a Forum customer occurred in 2004, per USPS: a Galeria Valeria follis (Venus and the apple of discord), not a valuable coin due to pitting, but still a disappointment.  Joe cheerfully applied the $31 loss, including postage, to another coin.  Funnily enough, I suffered another loss in a coin-sized and -shaped wooden disc sent as a flooring finish sample.  I hope the person who slit open the envelope wasn't too devastated.  My worst experience with Forum shipment was a booklet, sent first class mail, that took two weeks to arrive (cross country, I'll admit).  USPS is reliable. but I suspect that international shipments probably earn closer scrutiny from thieves because of their potentially greater value.  I think this thread is a great idea, especially when the loss is recent.  Jim, Perpetual Non Poster

Offline simon d

• Legionary
Re: Auction Coins Lost in shipping (by USPS). Thoughts...
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2018, 10:43:12 am »

You say that the coins were sent USPC, were they sent registered mail ?

Not sent by USPS,... but it went missing while in USPS custody according to tracking data.    Envelope originated out of Europe. 

I have a tracking number.

Iurii L

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2018, 06:27:54 am »
Recently some of my ancient greek silver coins were stolen during courier mail transfer by company CDEK in Russia.
Total 5 coins :
METAPONT. Didrachme (7,62g). ca. 280 - 270 v. Chr. Vs.: Kopf der Demeter mit Ährenkranz n. r., dahinter ΔΙ. Rs.: META, Kornähre, auf dem Halm r. Füllhorn mit Kornähren, l. Ameise. Johnston D 4.11 (stgl.). Fast vz
2.LUCANIA, Metapontion. Punic occupation. Circa 215-207 BC. AR Half ShekelDrachm (18mm, 3.76 g, 7h). Helmeted head of Athena right / Barley ear with leaf to right; above leaf, owl right, head facing, with wings spread. Robinson, Second, p. 50, 3; HN Italy 1634. EF, toned, underlying luster.

3.IONIA, Magnesia ad Maeandrum. Circa 155-145 BC. AR Tetradrachm (30mm, 17.02g,). Stephanophoric type.
4.AR tetradrachm, weight16, 94 гр.,  29 мм.  168/158-149 BC.
Macedonia under Roman protectorate
5.Maroneia tetradrachm, 16,9 ,33 мм, 189-45 BC.

Website with discussion(on Russian):

http://www.staraya-moneta.ru/forum/forum71/topic212541/#postform

Iurii L

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2018, 06:33:53 am »
More...

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2018, 10:01:03 am »
They are beautiful coins. I hope that you get them back.

You could also try adding them to the stolen or lost reports here:  https://www.forumancientcoins.com/fakes/thumbnails.php?album=25

Alex

All coins are guaranteed for eternity