Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help Too see if my coins are real??? I think one is a Sicily, Syracuse Coin?  (Read 565 times)

Karl U

Hey guys

I was given these  3 coins from my father-in law and i was wondering what the value my be or are they even real. As my Father-in-law was Egyptian and said he dug them outtve the ground.

On research i think maybe 1 is greek? But not in great silver condition like all photos on internet...

Syracuse Silver Decadrachm Circa 400 BC...

Ive took photos of the coins the front and the back

I did the Magnet test to see if they were a base metal and it didnt stick which is a good thing?..Just want to make sure its not a museum copy or fake?!?!

Also i weighed it on a pretty brutal cooking scales and it i think was maybe 40g....And diameter is over 30mm

Please let me know what you think guys thanks

Kind regards

Karlos...

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Welcome to Forum.

Sorry, they are cheap tourist fakes....

Karl U

Owh thats a bummer.

Just fake coins isnt good  hahaha...Maybe they stuck them in the ground for tourists to find...

How do you know?...I was suspicious as i couldnt find any coin the same online...

Thank for the help!!

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
It is obvious that they are crude casts, not struck coins. 

Offline JBF

• Caesar
They are fake, but I prefer to think of them as replicas.  The word "fake" implies that they are (or might be) passed off as authentic, but if you don't present them to anyone as authentic, but always call them "replicas," why then you are not trying to fool anyone.  Anybody who knows anything about ancient coins would not mistake these as authentic.

One group of people that _sometimes_ collects replicas, fantasies or forgeries is dealers.  Dealers sometimes have a "black cabinet," a collection of imitations from cheap tourist forgeries, on up to forgeries that can fool professionals.  Knowing what the fakes look like helps them better understand what is authentic.  Also if they own a forgery, it is not circulating in the market.  On forumancientcoins, there is a page for fakes, which is many ways the same thing as a "black cabinet."  They give examples for people to look at and compare.  So there are even people who are interested in even cheap tourist fakes, legitimately interested, not interested in selling it to some unsuspecting novice, but interested in getting them out of circulation, and educating people about what they look like.

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
It is obvious that they are crude casts, not struck coins. 

Hi KU,

Welcome to Forum!

Not only are the statements here true, but there is another red flag. A Sicily dekadrachm is supposed to be silver. Yours looks bronze. It is the wrong metal.

This is obvious to an experienced collector. However, it is understandable if someone who is new to the hobby or someone who found a relative's coins doesn't know that.

Meepzorp

All coins are guaranteed for eternity