Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: commodus medallion  (Read 652 times)

Offline sculptor17

• Praetorian
  • Dedicated to beauty and harmony in art
    • Glenn Terry Fine Artist
commodus medallion
« on: June 17, 2018, 05:27:45 pm »
There is a Commodus medallion listed in the Fake coin reports as being a cast copy of a paduan.     I would like opinions on one sold 6 years ago by a major and well respected auction house, which was listed as being not even a Paduan but as an imperial medallion, Banti 504, struck 184-5 AD. The reverse, in a much clearer state, can also be found as struck on a medal issued in 178 AD.

I'm attaching photos of the Forum fake posting and of the one sold for $2,000 by the reputable firm, for your consideration.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: commodus medallion
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 07:57:29 pm »
I think they both look cast. They may be the exact same coin.

It should be fairly easy using reference plates to determine if they are casts of a Paduan or an original (probably Paduan).

Please do not include the name of the reputable firm in the image file name. I will have to modify it.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 12:16:58 am »
Same dies as the apparently authentic specimen in Paris, Gnecchi pl. 98.4, previously in the Vatican, acquired in the 18th cent from the collection of Cardinal Albani.

The Paris piece is very similar and might be the original from which the casts were taken. This may be an old cast, produced in the 17th or earlier 18th cent.: for a similar specimen (or could be the same spec. as the one or two that you illustrate above) was already in Basel 1, 1934, lot 1473, a collection which had been formed ca. 1850-1875 if I recall correctly.
Curtis Clay

Offline sculptor17

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 08:05:15 pm »
Thanks for the responses.
Here is yet another specimen. Aside from it being a separate piece, is there a discernible difference (surface quality, assumed origin of issue, etc.) between it and the auction house piece?

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 11:33:18 pm »
I think it also looks cast.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline sculptor17

• Praetorian
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 08:08:45 am »
Yes, I would agree.  Yet it appears to my eyes to be in a similar state as the auction house example (which had been cited as struck), and both as being earlier casts than the specimen shown in the fake coin report which appears to have less detail, although the poor photo makes it a challenge to be sure.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity