Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Class G Anonymous Follis Overstrike  (Read 1116 times)

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
Class G Anonymous Follis Overstrike
« on: June 17, 2018, 04:06:36 pm »
I recently picked up this class G follis, and have identified it as overstruck on (most likely) an earlier follis of Constantine X (e.g., SB 1854), due to the pattern of the loros visible on top of Mary's clothing.

Does anyone see an error in that attribution?  Thoughts .... comments?

Offline Kevin P

• Praetorian
  • IC-XC NIKA
Re: Class G Anonymous Follis Overstrike
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 10:48:36 pm »
I agree with you - looks like SBCV 1854 to me. 

The vast majority of Class G overstrikes are of Constantine X's "signed" (or non-anonymous) folles, so that is the first place to start.  The pattern of the loros over Mary's clothing makes it almost certain.  The final confirmation comes on the obverse where you can just make out the outline of Christ (his head points toward 10:00 - that is "up" for the understrike) - with the right side his hair on the understrike cutting across his left eye and nose on the overstrike (Class G).  Since there aren't any other earlier bronze coins with Christ on one side and an emperor wearing a loros on the other side, 1854 is confirmed.

Kevin

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 12:46:05 am »
Since there aren't any other earlier bronze coins with Christ on one side and an emperor wearing a loros on the other side, 1854 is confirmed.

Thanks Kevin....that's basically the same logic I used to narrow it down to 1854.

Craig

Offline Abu Galyon

• Caesar
  • Change we can believe in.
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 01:00:57 pm »
That overstrike is really quite amusing. Nice find.

Bill R.

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 05:32:47 pm »
Agreed !   When I first saw the coin, I thought to myself...."Why is Mary wearing a loros?"

Offline Kevin P

• Praetorian
  • IC-XC NIKA
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2018, 06:48:00 pm »
I agree - very cool effect!

Kevin

All coins are guaranteed for eternity