Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Valerianus : which reverse ?  (Read 637 times)

Offline Michael van der Lee

• Praetorian
Valerianus : which reverse ?
« on: June 13, 2018, 09:14:36 am »
Hi everybody,

First of all thanks for helping out. Long time no see.

'Enclosed' a Valerian that I have just partially cleaned. Obverse has the usual [IMP C P] LIC VALERIANVS P F AVG. Reverse however seems to start with CONS is then broken by the star/staff of the god/person at left. In the middle either an altar with fire or shield. To its right another person, presumably the emperor.

I have been searching myself silly, but cannot find a suitable reverse legend. Anybody please ?
PS coin is silver or thoroughly silvered, size 20 mm

Thanks !!

Michael van der Lee
Netherlands

Offline AMICTUS

• Consul
Re: Valerianus : which reverse ?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 11:14:26 am »
Could be an antoninianus from Rome (4th officina-Q-) = MIR (R. Göbl) 164 or 165. Reverse is probably  CONSERVAT AVGG (Q) Apollo and Diana.

Offline Michael van der Lee

• Praetorian
Re: Valerianus : which reverse ?
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 05:40:02 am »
A very late but sincerely meant : thanks !

All coins are guaranteed for eternity