Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Very New colector question - Judean Coin Reference?  (Read 2683 times)

Offline Max F

• Auxiliary
Very New colector question - Judean Coin Reference?
« on: June 12, 2018, 04:55:02 pm »

I am just starting out with my historical interest in ancient Judean Coins. Can someone give me a starting reference or point me  in the right direction?

Any help appreciated
Max

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
Re: Very New colector question - Judean Coin Reference?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 12:24:49 am »
Welcome Max.

The first place I would start is with the DISCUSSION area specifically devoted to Biblical and Judaean Coins -  https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?board=28.0

There are literally hundreds of different topics and discussion threads, going back upwards of 15 years.

Various members have galleries of their collections...just check the "signature" section of their posts for an associated URL (e.g., mine is below).

If you're looking for reference materials, the most obvious one to start with is David Hendin's "Guide To Biblical Coins". 

Joe has the most recent edition (5th) available in the FORVM shop.   https://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins.asp?vpar=1209&zpg=54103

Craig

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 11:36:14 am »
Welcome.  And I can second the recommendation for Hendin's book.  It provides a lot more than just the identification of the coins.  Well worth having.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Alisha K

• Auxiliary
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2023, 09:15:31 pm »
Judaea Capta coins (also spelled Judea Capta) were a series of commemorative coins originally issued by the Roman Emperor Vespasian to celebrate the capture of Judaea and the destruction of the Second Jewish Temple by his son Titus in 70 CE during the First Jewish Revolt. Flappy Bird

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2023, 10:03:29 pm »
Just to add, the most recent edition of Hendin's book is the 6th, not the 5th. Either would work, but I believe that most dealers and auction houses have shifted to referencing the 6th edition. It is a great book.

Virgil

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2023, 11:33:05 pm »
We have the 6th edition...here
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity