Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Question on Later Roman Mints  (Read 1255 times)

Offline lawrence c

• Consul
Question on Later Roman Mints
« on: June 11, 2018, 08:10:28 pm »
This might be a "why is there air" question, but would like to tap the knowledge of the bright folks on the Forum. From bulk lots and other coins I've bought dating from the Constantine & successors era and from coins advertised for sale, it seems as though coins from the Siscia mint are either as common or nearly as common as those from Constantinople, and far exceed those from other mints. Are there archaeological and/or historical indicators that suggest that Siscia was in fact this prominent? I suppose the other option is simply that more Siscia coins are being unearthed in the Balkans or that there are fewer restrictions on exporting them from those countries. This might in fact be unanswerable, but wondered if anyone had insights on this. Thanks much.
Best,
Larry

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Question on Later Roman Mints
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 11:32:14 am »
Larry,

The mints were part of the regional governance and finance system of the late Roman Empire.  Each mint produced coinage, based in part on revenue intake, for a specific part of the Empire.  The coins they produced went primarily as part of military and civil service pay chests to military units and administrative centres in the area that the mint was responsible for.  Sometimes they would be tasked to send shipments further away than usual, for example if there was a troop concentration in a particular area for a particular purpose.

The coinage would then circulate slowly through the wider Empire due to the movement of troops and individuals and the trade in goods.

Large numbers of uncleaned coins that have come to the collector market over the last 20 years come from the Balkans.  They come primarily from northern Serbia and northern Bulgaria.  We know from documented excavations and hoards that the coins found in these areas come from (pretty much in order): Siscia, Thessalonica, Aquileia, Constantinople, the other Pontic mints (Heraclea, Nicomedia and Cyzicus).

If you handle uncleaned lots from different places (i.e. Spain or Israel) you will see different mixes of mints from the Balkan ones.

SC

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline lawrence c

• Consul
Re: Question on Later Roman Mints
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 12:16:01 am »
Thanks much. I have to confess that I'm starting to get a complex about Siscia.
Best
Larry

All coins are guaranteed for eternity