Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Just added this mule denarius of Titus  (Read 500 times)

Offline orfew

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Historical Ancient Roman Coins
Just added this mule denarius of Titus
« on: June 05, 2018, 05:55:37 pm »
So I bought this coin as an unsold lot. I was interested in it because I had a hard time finding any information on it at all. It is listed as RIC 36. On Acsearch I found one example. In my copy of RIC II part 1 (2007) the conversion table reports that Titus 36 and 37 are plated hybrids.

I know this reverse is common for Domitian but I have never seen it on a coin of Titus until today.

@David Atherton has told me it is a mule. Whether it is official of unofficial is unknown. The reverse is common for Domitian.

Here is the coin.

Titus AR Denarius. Rome, AD 79. IMP TITVS CAES VESPASIAN AVG P M, laureate head right / PRINCEPS IVVENTVTIS, goat standing left within laurel wreath. RIC II 36. 2.97g, 14mm, 6h.
Near Very Fine.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-146983

Offline stevex6

• Caesar
Re: Just added this mule denarius of Titus
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 06:30:31 pm »
That's not a mule => that's a mighty fine "goat" you've got there ...

;)

congrats

+++

Offline orfew

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Historical Ancient Roman Coins
Re: Just added this mule denarius of Titus
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 06:42:33 pm »
Thank you Steve. The comments are appreciated.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity