Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Letters on Reverse of Thebes Stater  (Read 1981 times)

Offline Nathan P

• Praetorian
Letters on Reverse of Thebes Stater
« on: June 05, 2018, 11:43:29 am »
I recently picked up the coin attached and am trying to figure out what the Θ-E on the reverse is referring to. I don't think it's a magistrate, as Θ-E seems to be on a lot of Thebes' coins, particularly the ones prior to 400 BC. Is it just short for Boeotia? Thanks.

It's also in my gallery here:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=47002&pos=0

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Letters on Reverse of Thebes Stater
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 11:55:38 am »
I think ΘE is abbreviated from ΘEBAIΩN, "Belonging to the People of Thebes".
Curtis Clay

Offline Nathan P

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 01:58:14 pm »
Thanks so much for your help!

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2018, 03:49:33 am »

Offline Nathan P

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2018, 06:36:31 pm »
Thanks, it keeps coming back to CNG for some reason. I can assure you it won't be there (or anywhere else) again for a long, long time!

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
  • Life is bigger than a Tweet.
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2018, 07:11:16 pm »
Its not unusual for coins to be recycled back into the numismatic market, often through the same dealer, every five years or so. Many, if not most people's collecting focus or interest is fickle. It'd be interesting to know the average holding time in a collection.
All historical inquiry is contingent and provisional, and our own prejudices will in due course come under scrutiny by our successors.

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2018, 08:38:37 pm »
Hi folks,

Unfortunately, what n is stating is true. I've seen it many times.

I wonder how many of those people were really in it for the enjoyment of the hobby. In my opinion (and I have no hard evidence to support this), I feel that these people only bought those coins for financial reasons. They purchased ancient coins as an investment, and they were looking to turn a profit. Many of the individuals who fall into this category tend to be extremely wealthy.

However, that is certainly not the case with me. I very rarely, if ever, sell an ancient coin. I've probably sold less than 1% of my collection. And the only reason I sold those coins is because the coin was mis-attributed by the dealer, and once I corrected the attribution, I realized that I already had an example of that issue. It was a duplicate.

Meepzorp

Offline stevex6

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2018, 10:01:11 pm »
Wow Nathan, that's a super new OP-coin (congrats, my coin-friend)

Yah, I love the coins from Boeotia (total winners)

I still have a couple and I've sold-off a few ... these are/were my sweet Boeotia babies (I hope that you like 'em)

Offline Nathan P

• Praetorian
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2018, 12:01:12 am »
My hope is that one of my sons or (eventual) grandchildren ends up loving ancient history as much as me and feels a connection to the collection I continue to amass so I can pass it on. So many incredible stories behind the places and people whose hands these coins touched. I'm actually in the investment business, but that's certainly not why I buy these coins. It's my way of connecting to this time and these people who lived such incredibly different, tumultuous lives than me. 

Really beautiful coins by the way, Steve. The detail on the stater's amphora is terrific!

Offline stevex6

• Caesar
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2018, 04:20:27 pm »
 :)

Thanks Nathan

Cheers, coin-bro

All coins are guaranteed for eternity