Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A very unlikely 3 figure/double-struck trachy/stamenon  (Read 1091 times)

seth

A very unlikely 3 figure/double-struck trachy/stamenon
« on: June 04, 2018, 01:53:16 pm »
Hello everyone,

Here is a very interesting curiosity:

AE22x18mm, 1g, struck on a very thin flan of spread fabric, more similar to a late 14th century Greek denier tournois than regular trachea or stamena, this coin shows three distinct figures on its reverse.

Possibly a double-strike of an unidentified type -- the figure in the middle and the one on the right might be the same -- it should be noted that the shape in which they're preserved is quite different:

The figure on the right looks obviously like the Virgin in veil, while the figure in the middle has its face completely worn out and looks like a nimbed saint.

On the other hand the posture of the two figures is very similar, as are the areas of drapery(?) and the areas around the heads of the figures.

The figure on the left is very likely the emperor, in Palaeologan regalia.

I'm curious if anyone has seen similar trachea/stamena?

Magistros

Re: A very unlikely 3 figure/double-struck trachy/stamenon
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 06:53:19 pm »
Very interesting, could it have been struck over a different type? The figure on the left looks a bit like those on Bulgarian imitations of trachies, but I don’t think its Bulgarian. I agree it looks double struck.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity