Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Faustina II Three Graces denarius question  (Read 1100 times)

Offline timka

• Caesar
Faustina II Three Graces denarius question
« on: May 30, 2018, 04:31:47 pm »
Hi!

There is a rare variant of Faustina Junior where Venus holds Three Graces instead of Victory. I learned that Three Graces were featured on some Roman provincial coins, but I wonder if Three Graces were portrayed on any other Roman coins minted in Rome in addition to this rare type - ?

Also, I have to admit that the portrait and drapery are executed exceptionally well on this type. There is something seeing on Faustina's far shoulder and behind - I wonder is it some kind of extra drapery, or may be a jewelry?  Any ideas or references will be much appreciated.

Ob. FAVSTINA AVGVSTA Draped bust right
Rev. VENVS FELIX  Venus seated left, holding Three Graces and scepter.

RSC -, RIC - (but cf. 732 for a similar aureus)

2,98g - 18mm - 7h

Thanks much for your time.

Z.

Offline timka

• Caesar
Re: Faustina II Three Graces denarius question
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 04:52:08 pm »
Three Graces

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 07:59:04 am »
Nice rare denarius,

Congratulation  +++

Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline timka

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2018, 08:57:16 am »
THX Q.!)

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2018, 01:44:50 am »
Hi Timka,

Congratulations on acquiring a rare denarius! :)

The problem I have with these types of coins is that the thing that makes them "special" (in this case, the 3 graces) is so small and unclear. It may as well not even be there. If someone doesn't explicitly point it out, it is very difficult to determine what is there. I have a few Roman Provincial coins where this is the case.

But it is a good coin to own nonetheless.

This coin is a perfect example of what I am referring to (scroll down, last coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/rp_moesia_niko_pt06.htm

On my coin, the 3-headed Cerberus is very difficult to see.

Meepzorp

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2018, 08:55:11 pm »
According to Three Graces collector Mark A. Staal, The Three Graces and Their Numismatic Mythology, 2004, the Three Graces only appeared three times on Roman imperial coins, twice for Faustina II and once on a medallion of Lucilla.

Your type of Faustina II: Staal knew specimens of this denarius from Aufhäuser 18, 1989, 420 and Coin Galleries, Dec. 2001, 2447. He also had a worn and plugged example himself, which he later sold in CNG E225, 2010, 359.

Same type on aurei: there are two specimens in CoinArchives Pro, both illustrated below. The first has normal drapery on Faustina's bust, while the second has the added drapery in front and at back that you observed on your denarius! I had never noticed such added drapery on an empress' bust before, and have no idea how to explain it.

This Three Graces type on sestertii: BMC 959, their online image reproduced below. I also have a specimen, from the same rev. die as the BM's, but a different obv. die.

This type must belong late in Faustina's coinage, since it generally used the same coiffure for her that was also used for her coinage as Diva, after her death in 175 or 176. However I notice that a denarius of this type that I acquired in 2014 has a different, presumably earlier, coiffure, with a wavy strand of hair on top of straight hairs above her forehead and covering her ear, and her bun bound with a band of pearls.
Curtis Clay

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2018, 09:25:15 pm »
In Faustina II's second Three Graces rev. type the statuettes of the goddesses are held by Juno not Venus, and the type was struck under Antoninus Pius not Marcus Aurelius, on asses only as far as I am aware.

As the pictures below show, the obv. legend can be either FAVSTINA AVG PII AVG FIL or FAVSTINA AVGVSTA PII AVG F, pointing to a date of c. 156; portrait can face either right or left; and Juno usually has a peacock at her feet, but occasionally the peacock is omitted, probably because the S C was in the field rather than the exergue, and there wasn't room before Faustina's legs for both the S and the bird. This type used to be quite rare, but a lot of new specimens have emerged from Bulgaria since the fall of the Iron Curtain.

Third Three Graces type on imperial coins: on a bronze medallion of Lucilla in ANS, illustrated by Staal p. 169, obv. LVCILLAE AVG - ANTONINI AVG F, bust draped r., rev. without legend, Venus seated as on your Faustina denarius, handing statuette of the Three Graces to Lucilla standing before her.

Curtis Clay

Offline timka

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2018, 02:39:52 pm »
Dear Curtis, thank you for paying attention to this coin with Three Graces, and  thank you for providing so comprehensive overview. My knowledge about this type was confined to the Mark's worn example from CNG. Would be great to come accross a Faustina II Juno denarius, or respective Lucilla Venus denaris given your input!

Dear Meepzorp, thanks much for sharing your coins. I find your Cerberus coin fascinating enough, I was able to distinguish at least two heads out of three!)))

Cheerz

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2018, 10:24:52 am »
Would be great to come across a Faustina II Juno denarius, or respective Lucilla Venus denarius given your input!

Note however that Faustina II's IVNO type occurs only on asses not denarii, and Lucilla's Three Graces type only on a large bronze medallion.
Curtis Clay

All coins are guaranteed for eternity