Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Kassander unit?  (Read 469 times)

Offline solon

• Caesar
Kassander unit?
« on: May 29, 2018, 01:13:54 pm »
Dear Board,

AE  11

Obverse: Double axe within olive wreath.

Reverse: Macedonian helmet, above right  :Greek_Beta:  :Greek_Alpha:, below right  :Greek_Kappa:  :Greek_Alpha:

This kind of double axe is generally on the coins of Mylasa with trident on reverse.

There is a unit with small double axe on the center of Macedonian shield but thats the closest I could get!

This is probably a quarter unit of Kassander but I can not find any reference for this coin!

Help is appreciated. Thank you.

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
Re: Kassander unit?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 01:41:57 pm »
Sorry for the commercial link, can't find another:

[LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]

Here this coin type is attributed to Caria, Mylasa, with the reference SNG Munich 912. Unfortunately  I don't have access to SNG Munich to check it.

Karia, Mylasa. Alexander III the Great. 336-323 BC. AE 12mm (1.32 gm). Obv.: double axe in wreath. Rev.: crested helmet with cheek guards. SNG Munich 912 type. VF.

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Kassander unit?
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 04:38:30 am »
Here is another one in a non-commercial link: https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=2223844
in this case attributed to Euromos in Caria, but I have no idea why Euromos ???

Regards

Altamura

All coins are guaranteed for eternity