Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Barbaric Imitative of Class A3 Anonymous Follis  (Read 1087 times)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Barbaric Imitative of Class A3 Anonymous Follis
« on: May 23, 2018, 05:21:44 pm »

Barbaric Imitative of Class A Folles' target='_blank'>Class A3 Anonymous Follis
10.472g, 28.6mm, axis 180

I think the style is too far off to be official.  Any ideas on who and where this might have been struck?
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Kevin P

• Praetorian
  • IC-XC NIKA
Re: Barbaric Imitative of Class A3 Anonymous Follis
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 09:32:58 pm »
Hey Joe,

This is the variety that has always perplexed me.  It is Variety 29 from the Bellinger/Grierson table of Class A Anonymous Folles.

Every example I have seen of this variety has a similar crude style that seems closer to the contemporary imitations of the day than to other varieties of Class A.  I have includes photos of recent sales of Variety 29 on this post - which seem similar to the one you posted.

I suspect that either 1) all of this variety are imitations, so they should be excluded from the table, 2) they all came from a provincial mint, or 3) they are genuine, just different (perhaps the good die engraver was absent/sick/died during this production phase and finding good substitutes proved hard).

Just my 2 cents (or 2 folles).

Kevin

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Barbaric Imitative of Class A3 Anonymous Follis
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 10:17:41 pm »
Hmm, interesting. Thanks Kevin.
Joseph Sermarini