Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Apollo/? Even knowing mint would help  (Read 467 times)

Offline laney

• Caesar
Apollo/? Even knowing mint would help
« on: May 22, 2018, 03:46:49 pm »
AE 15.5 mm, 2.43 g

I've been struggling with this for a while.  What's frustrating, is that some of the legend is visible on both sides, but none of it looks familiar to me.  So I can't even begin to try to analyze what the device on the reverse is.  I've taken shots with light at different incident angles to allow better visualization of different parts of the legends.  Can anyone help with ID?  Thanks much.

Laney

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
Re: Apollo/? Even knowing mint would help
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 04:42:18 pm »
I think I see "cap :Greek_Delta: ian :Greek_Omega:n, for Sardes/Sardis to the right of the female head. But my old eyes may be playing tricks on me.
Let's see what others think.
PeteB

Offline laney

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 05:20:03 pm »
Hi PeteB,

I wondered whether the stuff behind the head might even be a quiver, and that it is ArtemisStill looking for a match for Sardes or Sardis.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Laney

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 04:11:14 am »
Maybe this:

LYDIA, Sardis. Pseudo-autonomous issue. temp. Trajan, AD 98-117. Æ (15mm, 2.85 g, 1h). L. Julius Libonianus, strategos. Head of Dionysus right, wearing ivy wreath / Filleted thyrsus; bee to right. LS 13; SNG Copenhagen 508; BMC 75-6.

Pekka K

Offline laney

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 05:57:13 am »
Absolutely!  I need to rotate the reverse 180.  Thanks much Pekka K.
Laney

All coins are guaranteed for eternity