Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Michael VIII? ID Trachy help  (Read 1484 times)

Offline Evangelos T

• Legionary
Michael VIII? ID Trachy help
« on: May 01, 2018, 03:21:08 pm »
Please help me ID this Trachy, I'm a little bit confused. I think is Michael VIII, something between SB 2273, 2274 or 2290.
2,62gr 24mm

Thank you in advance.

Offline Joseph B2

• Praetorian
Re: Michael VIII? ID Trachy help
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 05:35:30 pm »
I'm looking at the, recently made public, DOC books and I can say this much:

1) It cannot be Sear 2273 because that one has Christ on the obverse. Yours has the Virgin Mary.

2) I don't think It's Sear 2290 because the throne on the reverse for that is pretty high up (has a back to it), and yours seems like it doesn't have that feature.

3) Looking at Example C.15 - 88 from DOC Volume 5-2, which looks very similar to yours (in the details of the coin), I would say that yours is Sear 2274

The other option is Sear 2275, but that brings similar issues to #2, and you can't really see if the Virgin Mary has her right arm extended as with her left on your coin.

Just my two cents; first time looking at Paleologian coins.

Offline glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 06:13:53 pm »
Yes, it's SBCV 2274, although some of the key features (such as the B's on the obverse) don't show up very clearly.
Note the XH/ EC - i.e, MX DEC(POT) - on the reverse.
It's hard to find a decent example of this type, but the one below will isn't too bad.

Ross G.

Offline Evangelos T

• Legionary
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 09:03:58 am »
And how about this SB 2274 with different reverse legend and the Emperor not holding a Patriarchal cross, but a globus cruciger?

Offline glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 06:29:45 pm »
Styles vary with Michael VIII issues, and evidently they often used more than one die-cutter for a given type.
But even so this seems to be the work of a rather amateurish engraver.

Ross G.

Offline Evangelos T

• Legionary
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2018, 03:54:39 pm »
Special thanks to Joseph & Ross.

Offline joma-tk

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2018, 03:23:29 am »
Styles vary with Michael VIII issues, and evidently they often used more than one die-cutter for a given type.
But even so this seems to be the work of a rather amateurish engraver.

Ross G.

Is this a polite way to say this coin is fake?

tk

Offline glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2018, 03:44:05 am »
It's possible, but ordinary Palaeologans are not popular with fakers, and I think a faker would have got the patriarchal globus right.
Here by the way is another example with a simple globus cruciger.

Ross G.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity