Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Greek Ae with Athena head and horse - To identify - genuine ?  (Read 928 times)

Offline Chut

• Consul
Hello,

I can't identify this strange coin, bought from a French dealer as "unknown greek coin". I have thought about cities of Thessaly (Skotussa ?), Arkadia (Kleitor ?), Macedon... But without certainty.

Obverse : helmeted head of Athena (or Ares ?)
Reverse : horse prancing right, NΩ under the horse (inverted Ω), T (?) before the horse
Diameter : 18mm-19mm
Weight : 6,43gr
Axis : 12h

The Ω seems inverted ?
And, according the strange obverse style (strange Athena head), maybe it could also be a modern fake ?!  ???

If you have an idea, please feel free to tell it.

;)

Other pictures :

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Greek Ae with Athena head and horse - To identify - genuine ?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 08:15:19 am »
Despite the edge cracks, I am suspicious of the coin.  I may be paranoid here, but it just looks wrong to me.  Style, flan, patina all seem wrong--but I may well be wrong myself.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity