Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: AE Domitian and Domitia Anazarbos Cilicia  (Read 705 times)

Offline mdelvalle

• Caesar
  • Mi nombre es Mario
    • My collection on the web
AE Domitian and Domitia Anazarbos Cilicia
« on: April 21, 2018, 05:08:36 pm »
I would like to know your opinions on this or these pieces.
Both photographs correspond to different auctions of two reputable auction houses, in both they match the details and wear, they only differ in the aspect of their patinas. Is it the same piece to which it has been restored or are copies?
Thanks and regards
Mario

Online Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: AE Domitian and Domitia Anazarbos Cilicia
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2018, 05:15:35 pm »
At least one and very likely both are cast fakesFake coin reports please.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline mdelvalle

• Caesar
  • Mi nombre es Mario
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 07:42:07 pm »
Done Joe, thanks for your response.
regards
Mario

Offline mdelvalle

• Caesar
  • Mi nombre es Mario
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 08:01:47 pm »
Investigating a little more I find the following two pieces sold by the same auction house in April / 2013 and November / 2015 with weights of 5.99 and 6.74 gr. I find that they share the obverse and reverse die and the offset in the stroke. Also cast fake or just coincidence ?

Thanks

Offline Mark Fox

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 01:53:22 am »
Dear Mario, Joe, and Board,

The first two sets of photos again belong to one coin, which show it before and after it was carelessly cleaned, possibly with the aid of a harsh chemical.  The clumsiness is perhaps best seen in the butchered rho in "ΓEP" (at ~10:00) and altered kappa in "KAICAPEΩN" (at 6:30), which may actually dip slightly into the realm of tooling, a suspicion supported by certain details in the portraiture as well.  There is no reasonable doubt in my mind that the coin is genuine and there was ample time between the two auctions (almost exactly one year) for the cleaning/tooling to take place.

Concerning the other photos, they are of two coins struck from the same die pair in almost the exact same way, as noted.  However, the shape of the flans are different as a well as other details that eliminate the possibility of a cast.  Again, there is nothing in my mind to suggest that they are anything but genuine.  In fact, there is a reassuring feature on one of the coins that I commonly look for which I believe forgers often overlook.  But I will not tip them off by posting it here. 

In any event, I hope some of this was helpful, and I think you are doing the hobby a service, Mario, by your efforts. 

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan

Offline bpmurphy

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2018, 04:45:33 am »
I agree with Mark. First two coins are the same coin, before and after cleaning. Second two coins are not casts as there are numerous differences between them. Die matching on anazarbus bronzes is not at all unusual as there were relatively few dies for each issue.

BRry Murphy

Online Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2018, 07:13:28 am »
OK, I will delete the reports. Thanks.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline mdelvalle

• Caesar
  • Mi nombre es Mario
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2018, 10:53:40 am »
Thank you all for your opinions, you are very kind.
regards
Mario

All coins are guaranteed for eternity