Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Sev. Alex. ΝΕΩKOPΩN: what city?  (Read 1152 times)

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Sev. Alex. ΝΕΩKOPΩN: what city?
« on: April 15, 2018, 05:59:15 pm »
AE 26-28, 9.32g, dealer's picture below.

AV K Μ AVP CEV AΛΕΞΑΝΔPOC AVΓ (AVΓ ligate) Bust laureate r., fold of cloak on front shoulder and behind neck.

Circular legend ending Ν - ΕΩKO,  PΩN right side up in exergue, Zeus seated left holding patera and scepter.

Flakes in the patina obscure the beginning of the rev. legend up to ΝΕΩKOPΩN, but comparatively few cities had that title (25 according to Hist. Numorum), so the city should be discoverable!

However a search for "Severus Alexander ΝΕΩKOPΩN" in RPC online didn't seem to show my coin or any other from the same obv. die, nor could I find the same obv. die on any provincial of Alexander in the Berk photofile.

This bust type "laureate with drapery on shoulder" appears to be rare on Alexander's provincial bronze coins.

The rev. legend might start with a C or an E, which would fit only with Ephesus, Sardes, Smyrna, or Side in HN's list of cities entitled ΝΕΩKOPOC. Style would eliminate Side, I think. Or maybe the legend starts with EΠI or CTP, though there seems to be hardly enough space to name both a magistrate and the city.

Curtis Clay

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
Re: Sev. Alex. ΝΕΩKOPΩN: what city?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 07:40:48 pm »
Perhaps Nicomedia.
PeteB

Offline Mark Fox

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 08:29:42 pm »
Dear Curtis,

An apparent obverse die match for your coin can be found on this issue of Perinthus:

https://www.corpus-nummorum.eu/coins.php?id=3955

For the type as a whole, Schönert-Geiß's 762 & 763 in her Perinthus study seem to be the most similar.  The relevant pages from this work are attached

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 09:17:39 pm »
Yes, Perinthus, Schönert's obv. die B, Zeus seated type like her 762-3 from that obv. die, but my coin is from a different rev. die, unknown to Schönert.

So a Thracian coin, explaining why it is not in RPC VI online, which so far includes only coins of Asia Minor and Egypt!

Knowing what should be there, I can indeed make out most of ΠEPINΘIΩN ΔIC on the rev. of my coin. The C or E I saw is apparently the second letter of the ethnic, not the first letter as I originally thought.

Thanks for the solution to the problem.

Curtis Clay

Offline OldMoney

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • My Site! www.oldmoney.com.au
    • Walter Holt's Old Money
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 10:03:40 pm »
Hi Curtis,
I don't know the number of cities listed, but the book "Neokoroi: Greek Cities and
Roman Emperors" by Barbara C. Burrell, is a worthy reference for such matters.
https://brill.com/view/title/7783

Walter
Coins of Ephesus
https://groups.yahoo.com/group/ephesuscoins
Walter Holt's Old Money - Ancient Coins
https://www.oldmoney.com.au
Sydney, Australia

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 10:28:28 pm »
Thanks for the reference, Walter.

I am familiar with Burrell's book, and have a copy in my library.

It seems to be a very diligent work, certainly useful, but not particularly brilliant or innovative, in my opinion!

Curtis
Curtis Clay

All coins are guaranteed for eternity