Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Coin identification assistance required please: IMP CAES M AVR ANTON AVG / P SEP  (Read 510 times)

Alan B3

Hi All,

I am a relative newbie to Roman coin collecting and acquired this coin because I did not have a double headed coin in my collection and to be honest I simply liked the look of it!

However, after many hours of research, I have hit a blank wall in terms of identifying whether it is a fake/imitation or genuine coin, or possibly even a mule. After observing several hundred images I have not been able to identify a matching coin. I have been able to find matching obverse and reverse legends on separate coins.

Any assistance anyone can provide will be sincerely appreciated. At this point I am out of my depth!

The coin appears silver and is about the size of a current (small) UK 5 pence piece 18mm.
Using my limited research capabilities below are the details of my unsubstantiated finding:

1.   Obverse LegendIMP CAES M AVR ANTON AVG (Caracalla Denarius. 198-199 AD. (Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right).
2.   Reverse legend: P SEPT GETA CAES PONT (Bare headed, draped and cuirassed bust of Geta right).
3.   Legend: IMP CAES M AVR ANTON AVG, 10 Dec. 198. Between: IMP CAE M AVR ANT AVG P TR P and IMP CAE M AVR ANT AVG P TR P, (acknowledgement Ignasi/ curtislclay).
4.   Forum Table 1 - Ruler Rarity: Caracalla, 198 – 217. GETA, 209 – 212. Overlap 209 – 212.
5.   Die alignment: Obverse head vertical, Reverse head 135 degrees approximately.
6.   AE3 17mm – 21mm (actual 18mm +/- 1mm).
7.   Pictures: PIC 1: Actual coin with IMP CAES M AVR ANTON AVG, head vertical.
8.   PIC 2: Actual coin with P SEPT GETA CAES PONT, head vertical.
9.   PIC 3: Shows P SEPT GETA CAES PONT die alignment, when ANTON head is vertical.

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Apparently a modern replica, since the Geta die seems to be the same as that of known Bulgarian imitations with reverse PROVID DEORVM, published by I. Prokopov as coming from the "Lipanoff Studio". See example below, copied from Forvm's Fake Reports.

I hope you can return the coin and get your money back!
Curtis Clay

Alan B3

Many thanks for the prompt feedback and references, very much appreciated. At least I can now use my limited research time more effectively. Best regards, Alan.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity