Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: An old ingenious Otho fake to attract collectors  (Read 2678 times)

Offline jmuona

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
An old ingenious Otho fake to attract collectors
« on: April 05, 2018, 08:38:03 am »
I have added an old Otho fake to my "Modern Otho forgeries" gallery. It has been identified as a "Tardani" fake. To me this piece is important as it clearly showed that some people doing these things had really good knowledge of what could have existed - and then made them.
There can be little doubt this was produced to fool collectors and it certainly did, first a major company and then a collector who loved to think it was real.
By the way, why is Tardani's real name still a "secret". After all, quite a few people know and I have definitely seen it in a public context as well.
s.
Jyrki Muona

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-145383

Offline okidoki

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270
Re: An old ingenious Otho fake to attract collectors
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 08:39:52 am »
All the Best,
Eric
There are no strangers, only friends you do not know yet.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 09:39:00 am »
Good eye Jyrki, ingenious fake.

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 10:48:28 am »
Are you confident that the Galba is genuine?

Offline jmuona

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 12:15:58 pm »
Well, actually yes, I think so, but as I have seen (no images retained) two more later on, I have not thought about this before. I did not put this in the fakes forum as it is really unlikely that anyone would stumble to one.
Most Victory Galbas are very late from his reign and this type was re-cut for Otho leaving traces of P and/or R visible. All re-cut ones are of RIC 17 type as the other Otho Victories had the goddess without globe or facing right.

Online quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 04:46:58 pm »
I agree the Galba is OK,   +++

Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline jmuona

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 05:50:02 am »
One thing should be added. I started to suspect the coin only after finding out the weight. Frank Kovacs identified the maker for me at NYINC. After getting to know more about "Tardani" I became convinced he was right. In a way it is a pity I could not keep the coin, as it cost a lot of money and I had very little. I returned it to the seller.
Jyrki Muona

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2018, 01:49:46 pm »
Jyrki,

How does Frank K. know that the Otho fake is by Tardani? I have heard that all of Tardani's fake dies were acquired by an Italian museum or maybe by the Italian Numismatic Society, but as far as I know they have never been published.

I am not convinced by your suggestion that this fake was created by a forger who had noticed the genuine Otho rev. dies taken over from Galba but with P R recut to OTHONIS, so decided to create a new variety based on a similar die of Galba but with unaltered legend, in the expectation of being able to sell it for a high price to a specialized collector. I think that a hundred years ago, just as today, there were virtually no collectors who would have been willing to pay a substantial premium for such a minor new variety, so there would have been little motive for an intelligent forger to create such a coin.

Best regards,

Curtis
Curtis Clay

Offline jmuona

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2018, 06:41:47 am »
Curtis,

I cannot remember well - many years have passed - but I think Frank has seen them. This particular one perhaps not, but there was something else. I must try to ask when/if I see him again. I have a vague recollection he mentioned that Tardani liked to combine published aureus dies in his creations (as was done here) and make denarii with them (at the time same dies were used for both). Also, I think the profile of the letters was unusual.

As to the rest, speculation for sure. The Otho RIC 17 die is rare and about a third of the known ones appear to be recut Galba "PR" dies. If randomly chosen, the most likely candidate would have been an unaltered/altered Otho die. To choose a Galba reverse die and form a combination not known is odd already. It becomes more than odd when the choice was a Galba reverse die that had been recut for use with Otho in Rome. To me this suggests intent.

Whether someone was prepared to pay a lot for such a thing or not, I have no idea and I do not know any refrences discussing that. It may well have been just something the forger chose for fun - "only I know this inside story" type of thing. We will never know, of course.

Jyrki

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2018, 07:56:29 am »
Quote from: okidoki on April 05, 2018, 08:39:52 am
+++

maybe better if you post it here

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?board=9.0

Actually the most important place to post it here: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/fakes/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pos=0
(Fake Coin Reports) I already did it.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity