Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Please look at the RECENT ADDITIONS and PRICE REDUCTIONS at the top and bottom of the page. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES! Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Point your mouse to a coin in RECENT ADDITIONS or PRICE REDUCTIONS on this page to see the the price. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Medieval, Islamic and Crusader Coins (Moderators: AlexB, quadrans)  |  Topic: Need help identifying this ancient gold coin 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Need help identifying this ancient gold coin  (Read 408 times)
Josh P2
Auxiliary

« on: March 25, 2018, 11:51:48 am »

I believe this is a South American origin coin. Any help on identifying this beautiful piece?
Meepzorp
Caesar

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 07:20:33 pm »

Hi JP,

It isn't gold, and it isn't (technically) ancient.

To me, it looks like a Spanish Medieval/Renaissance-era silver Reale-type coin.

Meepzorp

cmcdon0923
Caesar

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 10:16:41 pm »

Assuming it's authentic, I suspect it could be a 4 real piece from the Seville (Spain) mint

On the shield side, I believe I can see the denomination (i.e., IIII) to the right of the shield, and the mint mark (S) on the left side.

Obviously, size and weight would help.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Medieval, Islamic and Crusader Coins (Moderators: AlexB, quadrans)  |  Topic: Need help identifying this ancient gold coin « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop