Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Small Lead Tessera with Nemesis? or Eros?  (Read 1067 times)

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
Small Lead Tessera with Nemesis? or Eros?
« on: March 21, 2018, 05:32:19 pm »
Hi, all.  Here is another of the very small tesserae from Caesarea Maritima.  At first I thought Eros was the figure, but the wings are large, so I am thinking it might be winged Nemesis.  The recently published Hendler Collection of Gemstones from Caesarea shows several beautiful examples of Winged Nemesis, as well as Eros.  Anit Hamburger's articles on tesserae and gemstones also list these types, but nothing exactly like this one.  Thanks for any suggestions or comments.  Jimi

BCC LT57
Lead Tessera
Caesarea Maritima
1st - 3rd century CE
Obv: Winged Nemesis? or
Eros? with pickaxe, or torch?
Uncertain object to right.
Rev: Blank.
10 x 10 x 1.0mm. 0.68gm.

(click for larger pic)

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Small Lead Tessera with Nemesis? or Eros?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 09:33:53 am »
Weird.  You are right that the large wings are like Nemesis.

But is the figure sucking its thumb?  Looks like Harpokrates' gesture though he was never winged.  Does that make it an Eros though??

I would guess lowered torch in other hand and some sort of bush or tree in front.  Unless it is a trophy scene - victory lighting a trophy???

Sorry, that s no help at all.  Need to find a parallel I guess.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline stultus

• Procurator Monetae
  • Consul
Re: Small Lead Tessera with Nemesis? or Eros?
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 08:11:51 am »
Thanatos / Genius is quite common on coins of the Balkans. The gesture is usually similar, but I have found no objects in front of him.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity