Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Iulia Domna - RIC 536 - style quesiton  (Read 552 times)

Offline Nikola K

• Praetorian
Iulia Domna - RIC 536 - style quesiton
« on: March 27, 2018, 03:44:52 pm »
Hi all,

What do you think of the style of this particular coin (Coin 1)? Venus looks a bit buffed up, compared to the other similar coins. Weight is 2.82g.

The only coin I could find is a die match on the obverse (picture 2). This coin (picture 2) was sold in 2010 by first auction house, then in December 2011 by a second auction house. It seems someone returned the coin since it was on the auction again in March 2012.

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Iulia Domna - RIC 536 - style quesiton
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 05:10:12 pm »
I'd say that the reverse of the first coin was merely struck from a worn die, it has not been buffed or otherwise overcleaned as you suspect.
Curtis Clay

Offline Nikola K

• Praetorian
Re: Iulia Domna - RIC 536 - style quesiton
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 04:32:20 am »
Thanks a lot Curtis. By buffed up I meant that she looks athletic - has a V shaped back like she was going to the gym (sorry if wrong term used :)). This was my main concern. Looking at the coin under the magnification again, it is probably the result of the worn die... Thanks for the help.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity