Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Finders of Killingholme treasure hoard make a mint  (Read 1927 times)

Josip H

Finders of Killingholme treasure hoard make a mint
« on: March 05, 2018, 03:01:21 pm »
Hello,
here's another interesting article from Ancient-origins.
I can't any other articles or websites covering this :
"Old bottle caps and rusty nails aren’t the only things metal detectorists can find. Sometimes amateur treasure hunters make a big haul. Such was the case with the Killingholme Treasure, a collection of over 4000 Roman coins minted by the Roman Empire almost 1700 years ago.

The finders were lucky enough to land upon the hoard before the enactment of the Treasure Act, meaning they could sell their coins at auction and make themselves a fortune!"

Source: http://www.ancient-origins.net/artifacts-other-artifacts/finders-killingholme-treasure-hoard-make-mint-009694
The list of coins : https://www.beastcoins.com/Hoards/Killingholme/Killingholme.htm

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Finders of Killingholme treasure hoard make a mint
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 06:58:01 pm »
The find was reported and studied by the British Museum before being returned to the finders and released into the numismatic trade. Also, even if a museum wants the coins under the Treasure Act provisions, they still have to pay for it.  You can still find a hoard and make a fortune.

Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Vincent

• Caesar
Re: Finders of Killingholme treasure hoard make a mint
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 06:56:29 am »
Interesting article here by one of the discoverers of the hoard and a great read....this from the articles end

The story carries on much the same for several weeks with coins turning up almost on a minute by minute basis - the total find in the pot was 2753 coins and about 1504 in the top soil !
We were still digging coins out a year later on the same date.
As to value of the hoard I cant go into precise details but let’s say it was in the 10s of thousands unlike the final sale price which was in the 100s of thousands.
It just goes to show that going the way of an auction is not always the best way - I only wish we had put a reserve on it !
I would add that if I could buy back every coin now I most certainly would.

http://www.rodcollins.com/wordpress/the-killingholme-hoard-a-first-hand-account-of-its-discovery

I had the good fortune to purchase a Crispus AE3 London Camp Gate issue from this hoard, nicely silvered.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity