Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Rare Gordianus III. antoninianus hybrid  (Read 1685 times)

Offline Tibsi

• Caesar
    • http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=11846
Rare Gordianus III. antoninianus hybrid
« on: February 27, 2018, 12:18:08 pm »
The combination of the obverse and reverse legends isn't regular, so it's a hybrid.
I got it from F. Óvári as a gift.

Offline Joshua

• Praetorian
Re: Rare Gordianus III. antoninianus hybrid
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 08:22:37 pm »
I found what I believe to be an identical coin to your one, unfortunately, the link where I found requires a subscription. The original text was in German, I had it translated into English. Your one looks slightly better then the one I seen.

ROMAN EMPIRE

Gordian III.-238-244
- as Augustus. Antoninianus
Rome 240 AD.
Av .: IMP CAES M ANT GORDIANVS AVG, portrait with ray crown, drapery and cuirass n.r.
Rv .: PM TRP II COS PP, Emperor capite velato with Patera and Szepter n.l. sacrifice over altar.

Offline Tibsi

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 01:55:41 am »
Can you make a screenshot about ther other piece?
Your attached description contains a PM TR P II type, not P M TR P III.

Offline Joshua

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 02:40:23 am »
Unfortunately, I would not be able to do so, as the resource as quite a strict re-sharing policy for photos.

I checked, the ones with there, and I just found out that P M TR P III type didn't show, only the II one as previously shown, and IIII.

However, there is a free coin identification website [ They don't sell anything there ] where you can posts coins for ID without any account, and they have permission granted to them, and to an extent, me, if I have the photo shared there, if you are still interested in it.

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 03:16:54 am »
RIC lists a hybrid with TR P III from Antioch as RIC 224

(Obv. of Issue 1-3b, rev. of Issue 3c)

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 07:01:35 pm »
RIC lists a hybrid with TR P III from Antioch as RIC 224.

Actually RIC 224, cited from Oxford, is doubtless a mint of Rome coin just like Tibsi's.

RIC's apparent attribution of this mule to Antioch is just a misprint: the title on p. 39 should be not MINT OF ANTIOCH, but rather HYBRIDS as on p. 38.
Curtis Clay

Offline Tibsi

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2018, 11:16:34 am »
Actually RIC 224, cited from Oxford, is doubtless a mint of Rome coin just like Tibsi's.
RIC's apparent attribution of this mule to Antioch is just a misprint: the title on p. 39 should be not MINT OF ANTIOCH, but rather HYBRIDS as on p. 38.

I agree with Curtis. Thanks.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity