Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Geta denar RIC 101 dangerous fake or beautiful example of its type?  (Read 657 times)

Offline Peter G5

• Consul
Dear Board,

In our small and distant community an intensive dispute was generated by the attached coin. The coin is owned by a private collector, and showed the coin to the community just for admire when fellow collectors began to argue over its authenticity.

Parameters:
Diameter: cca. 19 mm
Weight: 3.2 grams
GETA (209-211). Denarius. Laodicea.RIC 101.

Some of the experts find the style of the Caesar portrait strange, others think the diameter (of dies) is too large for this mint and era. All agreed that the coin was hammered.

I would like to ask Your impartial opinion on the genuineness or reasons for doubts if any.

(Personally, I think it is genuine (while I highly respect all collectors involved in the matter), however, I am rather inexperienced, but eager to learn.)

Thank you for your time and opinions in advance! (the owner agreed to post his coin on the forum)

Offline Mat

• Caesar
  • Ancient Coin Addict
Re: Geta denar RIC 101 dangerous fake or beautiful example of its type?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 05:00:35 pm »
Looks Ok to me.
MY GALLERY

MJB Ancients

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 05:25:40 pm »
I don't see anything suspicious. 
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline antoninus1

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 04:00:50 am »
I agree, the style is typical of Laodicea.

Offline Peter G5

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 02:13:02 pm »
Thank you very much for your opnions!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity