Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: RPC Republic era  (Read 2273 times)

Offline Aleph

• Consul
RPC Republic era
« on: February 19, 2018, 09:17:30 am »
Hi all,
is there an RPC in the works for the Republic era?  There certainly seems to be adequate material and need.  I am actually a bit surprised it hasn’t already been done given the high interest in the republic.
Aleph

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
Re: RPC Republic era
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 09:50:57 am »
The late RBW donated his large collection of Republican provincial coins to the ANS.  It would make a wonderful catalogue of the series, but I'm not certain of the ANS' plans in that regard.  You might ask them.

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 01:08:24 am »
Hi Aleph,

I am not sure if Cara and I are fully understanding your question.

Many Republic era coins are already listed in RPC.

Here is one:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/rp_sardinia.htm

Meepzorp

Offline Britannicus

• Caesar
    • Eros on Roman Provincial Coinage
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 07:22:55 pm »
I think Aleph means coins struck before the mid-1st century BC, the starting point chosen by RPC being the death of Caesar in 44. So much of the "Imperatorial period" is actually covered. But in the absence of an Imperial (or Imperatorial) bust or name on the coin, it can be hard to pin it down to a narrower date of issue than, say, "1st cent. BC". I have a number of coins that I reckon were struck mid- to late-century, but no way of proving it.
It would be good if someone worked on those coins at the ANS!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity