Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Crete highlights  (Read 4766 times)

Offline timka

• Caesar
Crete highlights
« on: February 18, 2018, 05:22:00 am »
Hi!

I've just returned from holidays on Crete, and here are my brief observations:

- Winter is really great time to visit Crete. Very few tourists around, and all attractions are all for you, only you literally. I've been the only visitor to the Minoan Knossos Palace and Ancient Roman Aptera, priceless experience. 

- Heraklion archeological museum - flagship museum of Crete with long history and great collection, with nicely selected and presented exhibits. When you buy ticket ask if all departments are open. I had to visit the museum two times as it appeared that Roman department was closed because of strike on my first visit, nobody bothered to let me know about strike when selling the ticket.  The focus of numismatic collection is on Greek coins. There are several nice local hoards presented - it is an awesome sight to see so many impressive greek coins in large hoards! Unfortunately they don't allow to take the pictures of the hoards.

- Chania archeological museum - much smaller in scale compared to Heraklion's museum. It feels like it was set up to keep busy the tourists in summer, and earn some money for local budget along.  There are two exceptionally large transperant displays with locally found coins of Hellenistic and Roman periods. The displays are erected vertically so that the coins can be conveniently viewed from both sides. Btw, the majority of the collection represented with the coins from the Hellenistic period, carefully arranged in chronological order focusing on local mints of Crete (about 400+ coins on display).

Funny enough, in the Roman period I noticed that two denarii of Marcus Aurelius/Caesar and Faustina were swapped, as both did not correspond with respective descriptions. I pointed out this to museum worker. If someone comes over to the Chania museum one day - have a look, and check if they corrected this mistake!

Handy tips:
-consider staying at local houses, using airbnb.com. Locals are very hospitable, you will be always provided with local mades on top of your stay, like olive oil, wine, rakia, fruits, etc whatever is available from their own yards. 
-public transport is in slow mode in winter, so you will need a car to move around. Internet rates are surprisingly low   - I managed to hire an Opel for as low as 8 euro per day for 3 weeks. 
- Crete winter is nothing like European winter, the temperatures are in between 12 and 20 degrees of Celsius with predominantly sunny days. Sun and sea bathing is possible on sunny days.
-  There is a famous E4 long-distance path that starts in Portugal and goes through entire Europe, and through entire Crete too. Consider hiking some mountain parts of Crete along E4 path, especially around Samaria George (though note that Samaria Gorge itself is closed in winter). The trails are well marked, and easy enough to navigate. White Mountains covered with snow will be all around you, - spectacular. 

Below Im adding several photos...

Z. 

Offline timka

• Caesar
Re: Crete highlights
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 05:23:47 am »
Greek monetary system explained visually (Heraklion museum)

Offline timka

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 05:25:00 am »
Sarapis and Isis with the dog Cerberus (2nd century AD). Very nice how different religions mingled in the Roman period

Offline timka

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 05:26:11 am »
Torso of Hadrian

Offline timka

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 05:28:00 am »
Perhaps Domitia Longina, wife of Domitian, it is not for sure according the museum

Offline timka

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 05:29:10 am »

Offline timka

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2018, 05:32:58 am »
Rare view of Knossos Palace without tourists (winter!)

Offline okidoki

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2018, 08:02:49 am »
Dear Z,

thank you for sharing very interesting torso of Hadrian
All the Best,
Eric
There are no strangers, only friends you do not know yet.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270

Offline JBF

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2018, 05:06:52 pm »
I like the bust of Marcus Aurelius, I don't like how he often appears on coins.

I have heard the Sir Arthur Evans was rather high-handed in his restoration of Cretan Minoan paintings.  Was that noticeable or was it just so neat to be there?

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2018, 07:09:42 pm »
Thanks for this, Z.  I would like to get there someday.

Offline timka

• Caesar
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2018, 02:31:21 pm »
I have heard the Sir Arthur Evans was rather high-handed in his restoration of Cretan Minoan paintings. Was that noticeable or was it just so neat to be there?

...yes, in many places within the palace you will read that 'this' or 'that' is supposed to be 'this' or 'that' according to the Sir Arthur Evans... but you will be also provided with alternative point of views on the same subject right there.  I left the place with the feeling that later local scholars challenged some of his conclusions. 

All coins are guaranteed for eternity