Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Interesting Maurice Tiberius, AE Pentanummium, Constantine in Numidia  (Read 1527 times)

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
I recently acquired an interesting and apparently scarce Byzantine issue. 

Maurice Tiberius, AE Pentanummium, Constantine in Numidia,
Obverse: DN MAVRI Tb PP AVG, crowned, cuirassed bust facing.
Reverse: Large chi-rho, dot to lower left and right. Epsilon below. 13.57 mm  2.8g
SB 579, DOC 263

There is some debate whether this coin was minted in Constantine in Numidia, Carthage, or a military mint.  Any opinions on this nice coin?  Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
Re: Interesting Maurice Tiberius, AE Pentanummium, Constantine in Numidia
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 07:51:21 am »
In regards to its mint P_P, I do not have the knowledge to help, however this coin is very attractive I especially love the reverse. Congratulations.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Interesting Maurice Tiberius, AE Pentanummium, Constantine in Numidia
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 10:31:26 am »
I very much like this coin which I acquired from a dealer of modern US coins.

Grierson commented about these coins of Maurice.  “Half folles, decanummia and pentanummia of distinctively Carthaginian style but not fitting into the pattern of Carthaginian issues for the reign ... Bellinger attributed them to Constantine in Numidia.  A military mint in Africa, as with the comparable issues of Justinian, is more likely.”

Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity