Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: New variety of Anonymous Byzantine Class A Follis!  (Read 979 times)

Offline Kevin P

• Praetorian
  • IC-XC NIKA
New variety of Anonymous Byzantine Class A Follis!
« on: February 17, 2018, 12:11:37 am »
This coin is a recent acquisition of mine and doesn't appear to be referenced anywhere on the NimisWiki list:  https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=Anonymous%20Byzantine%20Class%20A%20Folles

Nimbus:    :dots5_3:

Book:   :dots2:

Reverse:   :drop3::circledot2::drop2:

It seems closest to the #33 varieties, but this coin has one more dot on the nimbus than #33 and this coin has one more dot on the book than #F33b.

Weight = 12.1 grams
Diameter = ??  (I need to measure)

A new entry in the table?

Kevin

Offline Kevin P

• Praetorian
  • IC-XC NIKA
Re: New variety of Anonymous Byzantine Class A Follis!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 12:29:06 am »
I did just find a second example of this coin online (not mine), but the reverse looks like there might not be a dot in the middle of the circle - or is it just worn off the die?

Reverse:   :drop3::Greek_Omicron::drop2:

Weight:  10.6 grams
Diameter:  28 mm

Kevin

Offline Abu Galyon

• Caesar
  • Change we can believe in.
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 12:56:23 pm »
Kevin,

The other Kevin (= 'Pep') hasn't been active on this board for quite some time, so if you want a new pattern added to the Numiswiki ornamentation table, you should add it yourself. Perhaps as a variation of type 33, but since the reverse mark without the dot-inside-circle is unpublished you could make the case for a whole new type.

Bill R.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 11:31:11 am »
I have added the type as F33c. The missing dot is most like from a filled die (dirt or metal filling the dot on the die).  If it is missing on your (Kevin P) coin too, we might assume it is intentional. I can't tell from the photo if your coin has a dot or not.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Kevin P

• Praetorian
  • IC-XC NIKA
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 09:00:12 pm »
Thank you, Joe!  I appreciate you adding this to the table.

Mine does have the dot in the circle.  I think it is safe to say there was dirt in the hole - could have confirmed if the top of the reverse was visible.

Much appreciated!

Kevin

All coins are guaranteed for eternity