Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Islamic Ae Dirham? Leopard / Lion with Rider 23.52mm 4g Artuqids? Seljuk of Rum?  (Read 1413 times)

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
I like figural Islamic coins.  So I purchased this interesting Islamic Ae dirham? It measures 23.52 mm and weighs 4.0g (it has been holed).  On the obverse is what appears to be a rider on a leopard or lion in an inset beaded circle surrounded by a caption.  Could this be an issue of either the Artuqids of the Seljuk Sultans of Rum?  All comments would appreciated in helping me identify this interesting coin.  Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

bakkar

Most likely Ilkhanid fals as I can read the sultan's name of Ulijatue on obverse border.

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Thank you for the help!  I think that it is indeed a Ilkhanid fals issued by Uljaytu / Öljaitü.  I think that it is:

AE Fals Baghdad  712 AH / 1312 AD
Obverse lion left sun over it in a beaded circle    السلطان الاعظم ....... السطان جلد الله ملكه
Reverse
 ضب بغداد
سنة اثنان عشر
و سبعمائة 
لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity