Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Anonymous Folles - Help aligning Class A2, Class A3 & Metcalf's 7 Categories  (Read 930 times)

Offline Kevin P

• Praetorian
  • IC-XC NIKA
Thank you to Joe for encouraging me to break my many questions into multiple threads.

I'm pretty new to Byzantine coins (I've been collecting Greek and Roman for >10 years).   I learned about the Anonymous Folles about 9 months ago and have become a bit obsessed with them - both buying and researching.  

It seems like many collectors and even dealers struggle with consistently (and accurately) differentiating between Class A Folles' target='_blank'>Class A2 and A3.  The Numiswiki Class A Follis Class A Folles' target='_blank'>Ornaments table is wonderful - and it calls out yet another classification - the 7 categories identified by Metcalf.  The great thing about Metcalf's categories is that it could be a link to more definitively locking down which coins are Class A Folles' target='_blank'>Class A2 versus Class A Folles' target='_blank'>Class A3 since it is based on specific design elements on the coin itself (versus approx weights and diameters).  Many of Metcalf's categories even call out whether they are Class A Folles' target='_blank'>Class A2 or A3, but that isn't complete.

This is where I could use help.  Can you tell me whether I aligned these correctly?  

==>  Metcalf's "Metropolitan" category is all CLASS A2
             ==>  Metcalf's "Central Greek" category is all CLASS A2
             ==>  Metcalf's "Blundered Inscription" category (types 25-28) are all CLASS A2
             ==>  Metcalf's #34 is CLASS A2  (since it "matches the Central Greek group")
             ==>  Metcalf's "Secret Marks" category has 2 types - #31 is CLASS A2 while #32 is CLASS A3
             ==>  Metcalf's next category (types 29 and 41-47) are all CLASS A3
             ==>  Metcalf's next category (types 24, 33, 39, 40) are mostly CLASS A3, with some 39 & 40 coins that are CLASS A2 (based on a higher weight)
             ==>  Metcalf mentions type #51, but I don't know if this is A2 or A3.  Does anyone else know the right place to put this one?  Perhaps since B. 34 is mentioned, it is the same as #34 (CLASS A2)?
             ==>  I don't see type #35 mentioned anywhere by Metcalf.  Is this a separate category or should it be part of one of the other categories?  Is it Class A2 or A3?

If we get this figured out, I think it would be very helpful to add a column to Pep's table associating each type with it's Class (A2, A3, or both in the case of types 39&40), since these Classes are what are used most by collectors, auctions, and dealer stock.  A definitive source for this would be wonderful!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Kevin

Offline Kevin P

• Praetorian
  • IC-XC NIKA
It seems like a lot of people have read this post.  I'm surprised there isn't a reply - either that it isn't possible to align these or some thoughts about how I attempted to align it. 

Is Pep still active on these boards?

Kevin

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
Hi Kevin,

Not to discourage you but I do not know of any active members looking at the Anonymous Follis series with the same zeal as you right now. My first piece of advice is check out any of the latest writings about the series on boards such as Academia , there you will find archeological  information about new finds and such.

The Byzantine board here at Forum goes through periods of being very active to almost deathly quiet. It just depends on what people are collecting . We have many very knowledgeable collectors who have sadly passed on or have left the hobby. Answers from this board do have the immediate response as some of the other sections of Forum and that is simply because we don't have the same activity in the Byzantine world. Most collectors seem to prefer the time when Roman Empire  had many Gods than the 1000+ years it had just one God.

However, you do have a much greater opportunity in this field of making new finds and adding to the lost history of the coinage and yes the Byzantine bug is very addictive and the market place for the coins seems very active.

I do have a nice collection of the Anonymous follis series but I am simply trying to get one of each class and because I travel for a living I have not had time to photograph and catalog the collection. Perhaps soon, :)

Simon

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Offline Kevin P

• Praetorian
  • IC-XC NIKA
Not to discourage you but I do not know of any active members looking at the Anonymous Follis series with the same zeal as you right now.

Simon - thank you so much for the thoughtful and thorough reply.  You are absolutely right.  I think my timing is just poor - I'm so excited about these coins right now and I am all alone.   :(

Perhaps there will be another surge of interest in the near future and I can ride that wave.

I do have a nice collection of the Anonymous follis series but I am simply trying to get one of each class and because I travel for a living I have not had time to photograph and catalog the collection. Perhaps soon, Smiley

Simon

I would love to see it, Simon!  I also need to photograph my best ones and create a member gallery in Forum - not just the weird ones I am trying to get help identifying.

Again - thank you for your help.

Kevin

All coins are guaranteed for eternity