Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Deceptive Gunk on Bronze Coin - seeking advice  (Read 1857 times)

Seth B

Deceptive Gunk on Bronze Coin - seeking advice
« on: September 30, 2018, 11:23:08 pm »
Hello everyone,

I have been working on a few uncleaned coins today, one of which is this very chunky and encrusted fellow.

Being relatively new to the hobby, I have tried to be careful and use a metal spike to lift heavy encrustations and a nylon soft bristle toothbrush to remove softer materiel.

I'm at the point where some text has emerged and a portrait is visible, but it's becoming harder and harder for me to tell what is crust and what is just damage the coin.
The detail is very good in some places but others appear to have been heavily scratched or dragged at some point. Some of the scratched areas have lifted right off when probed with the spike, and others have not.

What would you do moving forward?

Seth B

Re: Deceptive Gunk on Bronze Coin - seeking advice
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 11:25:41 pm »
A couple more shots,  one with soap on (perhaps it will be easier to see the details of the text) and one of the obverse side.

The obverse is the one that is giving me the most trouble - do I even try to clean it?

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 11:38:31 pm »
If you know what it is you're cleaning it's easier to be careful.  Magnification while cleaning will help too.  Are legands in Latin or Greek?  I can't really tell from the pictures but I suspect it may be a barbarous LRB so legands wont make any sense.  If you get a better picture we might be able to help in attribution.

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 02:09:00 am »

This coin looks like provincial of Severus Alexander,
possibly 3 standards type from Nikaia.

Pekka K

Seth B

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2018, 02:20:27 am »
Thank you both for your input so far - here are a couple more shots, hopefully clearer. Best I can do without the help of sunlight, I am afraid!

Offline B-Chicago

• Praetorian
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2018, 02:22:06 pm »
when they look like that the surface is usually corroded so my rec is to tread lightly

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2018, 05:39:56 pm »
You have probably done all you can short of the extreme measure of electrolysis.

In my experience once you have poked this stuff with a metal needle or scalpel and removed everything that loosens not much more will come off.

More poking and prying just risks gouging out the coin body.  The encrustations are too much for endless DW soaks.

SC

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity