Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Please look at the RECENT ADDITIONS and PRICE REDUCTIONS at the top and bottom of the page. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Please call if you have questions 252-646-1958. Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Point your mouse to a coin in RECENT ADDITIONS or PRICE REDUCTIONS on this page to see the the price. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Medieval, Islamic and Crusader Coins (Moderators: AlexB, quadrans)  |  Topic: Maria of Hungary, revisited and revised (thanks to the Cluj-Mănăştur Hoard) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Maria of Hungary, revisited and revised (thanks to the Cluj-Mănăştur Hoard)  (Read 883 times)
Stkp
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« on: February 04, 2018, 07:29:13 pm »

I recently stumbled upon on English-language article on the denarii of Hungary's Maria (1382-1387/1395), Huszár types 566 and 569, from the Cluj-Mănăştur Hoard.

The article is not without problems, but provides the most detailed information on these coins of which I am aware -- and in the only language that is readily accessible to me! It has prompted me to revise my collection of Maria's denarii and to rewrite my descriptions of them, including the re-posting of a few coins with improved photos:
http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-143696
http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-143701

I have gotten through six coins, with another dozen to go. While I am at it, I created a new album within my gallery for Maria, and am gradually moving the coins from my general Angevin Dynasty album into this one:
My Maria album:
http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=6617
My general Angevin Dynasty album (including the coins of Maria that I have yet to revise):
http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=2234

It is time-consuming, but I am enjoying it, and learning from it. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Below is a photo of my coins from Hungary's Angevin dynasty.

Stkp

quadrans
IMPERATOR
Caesar

Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 12:58:04 pm »

Nice group Steve,

The Maria are also one of my favorite, I have some small article about them but unfortunately in Hungarian, but I will try to explain som coin here soon...

Regards

Joe

Stkp
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 01:52:40 pm »

Quote from: quadrans on February 05, 2018, 12:58:04 pm
The Maria are also one of my favorite, I have some small article about them but unfortunately in Hungarian, but I will try to explain som coin here soon...

Joe, They are (recent) favorites of mine, too (my favorites shift from time to time as I work on them). I'd love to see the article, even if I will have difficulty translating it. You have my email address. I'd much appreciate a copy. And any explanations that you have time to post here in English will be enthusiastically received.

Stkp

Stkp
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 05:29:14 pm »

FINISHED (but not completed as I hope to acquire more coins in this series). It took me a while, but I have finished my revision of my 18 denarii of Maria. My last one:
http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-143862
Stkp

quadrans
IMPERATOR
Caesar

Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 11:23:59 pm »

Nice summary  Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Joe

Stkp
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 07:00:23 am »

Thanks.

peterpil19
Caesar

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 08:04:46 pm »

Hi Stkp,

What an amazing collection!

Your summaries are very detailed and no doubt an excellent source of information for anyone seeking to collect these coins!

Peter
Stkp
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 09:42:26 pm »

Thank you Peter

Edward D
Consul

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2018, 01:40:39 pm »

That is a nice collection of Maria Denars! Thumbs Up
Stkp
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 07:16:26 pm »

Thank you Edward. Stkp

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Medieval, Islamic and Crusader Coins (Moderators: AlexB, quadrans)  |  Topic: Maria of Hungary, revisited and revised (thanks to the Cluj-Mănăştur Hoard) « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop