Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Reference needed: AE As, Vespasian, AEQVITAS AVGVST  (Read 252 times)

Offline Constantine IV

• Caesar
  • Constantine IV
Reference needed: AE As, Vespasian, AEQVITAS AVGVST
« on: February 02, 2018, 06:20:20 pm »
Hello all,

I bought this AE As of Vespasian a few weeks ago.
The obverse legend appears to be: IMP CAES VESPASIAN AVG P P COS III (laureate bust right) with a reverse legend of AEQVITAS AVGVST (Aequitas, standing left holding scales and sceptre.)

I have yet to get a copy of RIC II.
If anyone could provide a reference for this coin (if I've identified it correctly) I will be very grateful.

Thank you.
"He who gives himself airs of importance, exhibits the credentials of impotence". ~ Decimus Laberius, 46 BCE

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
Re: Reference needed: AE As, Vespasian, AEQVITAS AVGVST
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 02:31:13 am »

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 04:38:20 am »
Hi Masis,

I have a similar coin that was issued by Titus (scroll down, second coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/ri_titus.htm

My example has slight variations in the legends.

Meepzorp

Offline Constantine IV

• Caesar
  • Constantine IV
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 10:27:28 am »
Thank you Pekka!  +++  :<a href='../numiswiki/view.asp?key=wreath' target='_blank'>wreath</a>2:
I ought to look more closely at such details as the numerals, as I had seen an example of RIC II 399 on wildwinds but dismissed it being a match as that one did not appear to have the "-" accent above the numerals.

That is a very good collection of Flavian coins you have Meepzorp!  +++
"He who gives himself airs of importance, exhibits the credentials of impotence". ~ Decimus Laberius, 46 BCE

All coins are guaranteed for eternity