Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: White Gold Conference  (Read 2943 times)

Offline glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins
White Gold Conference
« on: January 26, 2018, 07:25:30 pm »
Note that the papers from the White Gold Conference on early electrum coinage held in Jerusalem in 2012 are finally about to be published (in July next) as:
"White Gold: Studies in Early Electrum Coinage"
by Peter Van Alfen (Editor),‎ Ute Wartenberg (Editor),‎ Haim Gitler (Contributor),‎ Koray Konuk (Contributor).
You can now pre-order the book from various booksellers.

Ross G.

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Re: White Gold Conference
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 08:58:25 pm »
I thought it was being released in January.  Oh well, something to look forward to.

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 02:22:20 am »
... Note that the papers from the White Gold Conference on early electrum coinage held in Jerusalem in 2012 are finally about to be published ...

This is something we hear nearly since years (ok, at least since months  ;) ).
When I did finally a pre-order they told the delivery would be end of December 2017, now they tell February or March and you say that in will be July  :( .

I don't understand why the editing of such a book takes more than five years. But I am from Germany, we are learning now how to stand delays in big projects  :)
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuttgart_21 but meanwhile they are at 2025, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berlin_Brandenburg_Airport )

Regards

Altamura

Offline Ivan B

• Legionary
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 05:07:22 am »
I am also interesting on this book and following it's pre-ordering at amazon for about a year or more...

Offline glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 05:11:26 pm »
The problem is the White Gold papers have taken so long to publish that many are now obsolete.
There have been more recent conferences with more up to date data on various topics, such as the alloy content of types other than the Lydian lion heads.
Now we wait for those to publish.

Ross G.

Offline JBF

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2018, 04:56:25 pm »
So, what is the status of this book (conference papers on "White Gold")? 
Do we get to look forward to it, _this_ month (July)?

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
  • Life is bigger than a Tweet.
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2018, 06:00:38 pm »
The problem is the White Gold papers have taken so long to publish that many are now obsolete.
There have been more recent conferences with more up to date data on various topics, such as the alloy content of types other than the Lydian lion heads.

This is becoming a systemic problem in the numismatic publishing industry. Regular journal articles even take two plus years to surface, while for conference proceedings and the like the timeline to publication is seemingly open ended. Journals are now regularly published one to two years after the date they bear e.g. The American Journal of Numismatics, although I understand they will catch up this year due to a surfeit of 2017 submission that have been carried over to make the 2018 volume. Even so, it will be about 18 months lead time for the publication of those papers, which is about as good as it gets.

Despite all the modern technology involved the efficiency of the numismatic publishing industry, as measured by time from submission to printed product is worse than in the days of Gutenberg and manual typesetting.  Go figure!

I suspect that this is the result of too many people involved in the editorial and decision making process, rather than a technology issue. The more people involved the slower the turn around time and the more egos that have to be assuaged in the decision making and editing.

Sadly, I think it is inevitable that it will be suggested by the blockers in the editorial and publication process that solution will is the abandonment of the printed word in favor of digital only publication as enacted by the Journal of the Numismatic Association of Australia (http://www.numismatics.org.au/naa-journals/2016/) which went this way in 2016 and has yet to produce another volume despite what proponents of digital publishing would suggest are the efficiency gains!

Digital only publications are a potential boon for access and readership, but do not solve the growing inefficiency of an often ego driven, peer review and bureaucratic editorial process in which delay and deferral is the norm.
All historical inquiry is contingent and provisional, and our own prejudices will in due course come under scrutiny by our successors.

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2018, 06:24:54 pm »
I try reading digital journals and just can’t.  I have to print and add notes, etc.  With the amount of essays I read I can’t keep the info and notes digital.  It would take more effort to organize and arrange digital files and notes than to just print and throw in a binder/pull from the shelf.  Especially when I’m writing- I need a stack of articles and books to consult, and it is too cumbersome to do it entirely on screen. I have two or three screens at my desk as it is. I like to reserve the screens for searching databases, digitized classical references I don’t own, correspondences, Forvm (!), etc.

Koinon will always be print, but essays can be uploaded a year or so after publication to academia or university websites.  Best of both worlds, imo. But if it weren’t print, for me, it wouldn’t be worth the effort.

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2018, 06:26:43 pm »

Ross G.

I assumed the delay is because the authors keep updating their studies, etc.  Truly “many” are obsolete?  Can you be more specific?

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2018, 07:45:50 pm »
Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for hard copy publication over digital only for the reasons you outline, plus the fact that digital only papers will prove to be ephemeral as digital formats and standards change. Hard copy on the other has the lifespan of the medium it’s printed on and a hard copy publication is likely to still be around a century or more from now. Longevity trumps all other considerations in my opinion.
All historical inquiry is contingent and provisional, and our own prejudices will in due course come under scrutiny by our successors.

Offline glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2018, 07:09:39 pm »

Ross G.

I assumed the delay is because the authors keep updating their studies, etc.  Truly “many” are obsolete?  Can you be more specific?

As I understand it the delay was at least partly due to a change in editor.
There have been at least two major conferences on early electrum since White Gold (the ANS in New York and another in France (I think) which will no doubt include more up to date information on various topics, although I can't give you any details.

Ross G.

Offline cicerokid

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2018, 09:17:59 am »
Books may date before their publication. Or that the premise is probably a fantasy of the otherwise brilliant author.

The New Style silver coinage of Athens ( ANS 1961) is a brilliant example of this. Essentially the catalogue is brilliant , the sequencing often only on style still generally stands up, but her dating was immediately attacked on prosoprographical grounds and interpretation of hoards. The old stand-by of Star between 2 crescents that had been the only chronological fixed point, she abandoned for a new and unsupported interpretation.

She gave way only 20 years or so later.

The book though is still great!

The problem is that still many modern authors don't know that the low chronology is the strongly favoured one now and Athens New style is used to date modern hoards and not the other way round.

I see high chronology dates all the time ! I prefer the company of Lorber, Houghton, Meadows, Mattingly, Lewis over Thompson and  Morkholm
I
n my little papers I write  on academia,I often update them but now keep the older papers on there to show an audit trail, ( and not just to try and change the look and improve my English), which is a form of history in itself.

A book is a fossil. I do like books though and have my own copy of Thompson.
Timeo Danaos afferentem coronas

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2018, 11:26:33 am »
Amazon claims that they will send it today and I will get it on Monday  :). We will see  ;).

Regards

Altamura

Offline JBF

• Caesar
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2018, 05:32:35 pm »
Please let us know, if/when it comes in.

Kind regards,
JBF

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2018, 12:31:10 pm »
More or less as expected the book did not arrive on Monday  :(.
Now Amazon says that they need a bit more of time to be able to give me reliable information about a new delivery date.

Waiting goes on  :) .

Regards

Altamura

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2018, 04:36:18 pm »
I received the ANS 2018 Publications Catalogue with the latest ANS Magazine. In the Catalogue it is listed as the the last of six "Upcoming Books" the first two of which, Lorber's "Ptolemaic Empire" volumes, have just hit the shelves.

Offline glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2018, 07:23:12 pm »
The full name of the forthcoming book is "White Gold: Studies in Early Electrum Coinage. New York and Jerusalem: American Numismatic Society and Israel Museum."
So it sounds as if it includes the ANS conference on electrum in New York (in 2013 if I remember rightly - it's hard to track this event down online).
The combining of the reports of the two conferences was apparently one reason for the delay.

Ross G.

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2018, 03:26:35 am »
I have got a new delivery date  :), it is in March 1919  >:(.

Regards

Altamura

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2018, 06:38:24 am »
I have got a new delivery date  :), it is in March 1919  >:(.
The delay is enough to get anyone confused.

Looks like you're 99 years late with the order! Back to the future!

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2018, 06:44:46 am »
Oh sorry, it is of course March 2019 (I shouldn't write before I've had my coffee  ;)).

Regards

Altamura

All coins are guaranteed for eternity