Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Anonymous Follis Class 2 - Help ID  (Read 1028 times)

Offline palves

• Consul
Anonymous Follis Class 2 - Help ID
« on: January 22, 2018, 02:11:35 pm »
Hi,

for sure out of my field.

any help is welcomed.

Diam: 35mm
weight: 17g

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
Re: Anonymous Follis Class 2 - Help ID
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 10:51:27 pm »
Hi Palves,

You are correct but I am uncertain what additional information you were looking for. We do have an excellent page that discusses the types of ornamentation

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=Anonymous Byzantine Class A Folles

Simon
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Offline palves

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 04:10:51 am »
Thanks Simon.
I am just trying to get a more specific ID. I know that there are lots of variants...

I had a look at the page you mentioned and i am guessing is a type 5 or 20a (cannot see the book).

Thanks a million.

Note: originally I wrote type 20, but I corrected to 20a, it was a typo

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 10:42:04 am »
Hmmm....my eyes see what appears to be a dot above the S in JHSUS, and if so it seems to rule out 5 or 20, as each of those have only a dot either above or below the reverse legend

But if I'm reading the chart correctly, it may actually be a 20a type.

Offline palves

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 10:52:50 am »
Hmmm....my eyes see what appears to be a dot above the S in JHSUS, and if so it seems to rule out 5 or 20, as each of those have only a dot either above or below the reverse legend

But if I'm reading the chart correctly, it may actually be a 20a type.

I read the table as dot both top and bottom, 2 symbols per type only if they are different  ??? ???

Offline Abu Galyon

• Caesar
  • Change we can believe in.
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 11:24:21 am »
Almost certainly type 5 ornamentation. As noted above type 20a is also possible but it's much less common. Also, type 5 specimens frequently have that extra dot between lines 2 and 3 of the reverse text,  which the engraver has used to mark the center of the die.

Bill R.

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 04:05:13 pm »
I agree with your observations Bill.  I didn't notice the center dot...too focused on just the nimbus and reverse top/bottom punctuation. 

Too bad we can't see the ornamentation on the Book to make the attribution iron-clad, but odds are certainly in favor of type 5.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity