Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Attica Athens Zeus Dioscuri  (Read 1631 times)

Offline cicerokid

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Attica Athens Zeus Dioscuri
« on: January 19, 2018, 10:09:14 am »

Meepzorp.

Just looked at your Attica AE gallery and saw this,

Attica, Athens, ca. 229-197 BC, AE 18
 helmeted head of Athena/
 AΘE, Zeus standing, hurling thunderbolt, pilei
 of the Dioscuri (caps with stars above)
 BMC 549, ex Lindgren collection
 Posted September 2016.

A very nice coin indeed BUT, the coin is often associated with the late type "New Style Caps of Dioscuri" tetradrachm of c 100 BC, by Price, Kroll and others I have forgot.

regards

John (cic)
Timeo Danaos afferentem coronas

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
Re: Attica Athens Zeus Dioscuri
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 05:44:16 am »
Hi cic,

I split your post into a new topic. Technically, it didn't belong in the thread it was in.

Thank you for the information. As you can see, that is a pedigreed coin from the Lindgren collection. I purchased it from Mr. Lindgren before he passed away.

Since Mr. Lindgren began his collecting many decades ago, he had a tendency to use old references, like BMC, for example. I suspect that is why the dating is off for that coin. I am sure that the dating is probably off for many other coins I purchased from him.

The dating for many coins has been revised over the decades as new references have been published. Dating can also be a very subjective and controversial area.

It is not a catastrophic error. I'll consider correcting it in the near future.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 08:40:49 am »
Hi folks,

I corrected it.

Here is a link (scroll down, second coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/g_attica.htm

I also corrected a spelling error (salamander) in my Greek, Thrace, Part 1 page (scroll down, third coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/g_thrace_pt01.htm

Meepzorp

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 09:04:14 am »

I can add, that your coin is: Lindgren II #1550.

Pekka K

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 11:46:26 am »
Hi Pekka,

Thank you for the information.

Is it the Lindgren II plate coin?

Meepzorp

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 11:52:30 am »

All Lindgren books show virtually all listed coins on plates.
Books II & III show plate on  adjacent page of list.

Pekka K

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2018, 09:16:17 am »
Hi folks,

I researched this coin further, both online and using the Lindgren II reference book.

I have the Lindgren II reference book, but it took me while to find it. As many Forum members know, I don't have a bookcase. My ancient numismatic reference books are in boxes in my den. And I have a lot of them (both boxes and books). I had a rough idea where this book was. I eventually found it.

This coin is not the Lindgren plate coin, but it is the same type.

I decided to re-write my tags for this coin, and I shot photos of them.

I also edited my website page that contains this coin (again, for the second time within a span of 2 days).

Additionally, I decided to switch my coin #2 and coin #3 in that page. Armed with this new dating information, it turned out that my sphinx coin was minted earlier than my Zeus/Dioscuri coin. My sphinx coin is in Svor. pl. 80, whereas my Zeus/Dioscuri coin is in Svor. pl. 81. So, I had to switch them. My Zeus/Dioscuri coin is now my third coin in that page.

Meepzorp

Offline cicerokid

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2018, 10:17:48 am »
The references, I do not know of any later

Price, Martin Jessop, “The New Style Coinage of Athens: some evidence from the Bronze issues” The Numismatic Journal and Journal of the Royal Numismatic Society, seventh series Vol 4 1964

Kroll, John H., Walker, Alan S. “The Greek Coins”- The Athenian Agora .The American Journal of Classical Studies at Athens. Vol. 26 The Greek coins   1993

Your Sphinx is now in the Augustan period according to Kroll/Walker c 10-31 AD and stylistically looks right.

BMC is "prehistoric" to a serious researcher- the difference between a collector and a researcher is the lack of or constant search for modern articles.

Cic

Timeo Danaos afferentem coronas

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2018, 12:29:54 pm »
BMC is "prehistoric" to a serious researcher- the difference between a collector and a researcher is the lack of or constant search for modern articles.

Cic

Hi cic,

I have so many coins that I don't have time to research every one of them.

Look how long it is taking me to complete my coin project, and that is without researching every coin. I started over 5 years ago, and there is no end in sight. My website is Phase III of my project, and I started that over 2 years ago. Imagine how long it would take me to complete my project if I had to research every one of my coins.

That's why I appreciate any help I can get from other Forum members like you. Your input is always welcome. :)

Meepzorp

All coins are guaranteed for eternity